Does FASFA give you more money depending on how much your school costs?

I’m currently going to community college and have unsubsidized loans for like $5,500. That completely covers my classes at the moment, but I soon wish to transfer to a university in the UK that will cost ~ $14,500 a semester for tuition. FAFSA does give money for international schools, but will the amount of money I receive go up since it’s more expensive? Because if it’s capped at $5,500 I don’t see how I could go to any full on university in the United States, let alone the UK.

FAFSA never covers the entire cost of schooling anywhere. You'll have to find alternative/additional sources for funding. 

• MS

You can only use federal student aid toward international study if you do it through a study abroad program affiliated with your university.

In any case, FAFSA is just an application that determines your eligibility for aid.  Each school uses that information to determine how much aid you will be offered, and also what type.  So you are usually offered more aid at more expensive schools, although it might just be in the form of more loans.

• Squid

Yes, the overall cost of the school is a factor in what financial aid you will be offered.

• ?

FAFSA is just a form that you fill out. The result is sent to the colleges and universities that accept you, and they make you a financial aid offer. I have never heard of financial aid being "capped". How were you told this? My daughter got offers ranging from $0 to almost full tuition and room and board. Her financial aid offer included scholarships, grants, loans and work study. Your loan amount is determined by your community college. If you apply to another school, they will look at your finances and make you an offer. That would probably be higher for a more expensive school. However, that's only for schools in the US. The only way to use your financial aid to study in another country is to do it through study abroad. Your community college might have some agreements with schools in other countries. All universities do. Then you pay tuition to your home school in the US, and your financial aid applies. You may have to pay transportation and housing in the other country, but some of that may be covered by your financial aid, too. 

• y

All I can tell you is for my daughter, who will be going to college in the fall. FASFA did not care what the school was, they set a limit of just under 6 thou they will loan to her.  If we need more, it is on us to find funding.

• Scott

Financial aid does not cover enrollment in a foreign university unless you are in some sort of a short term exchange program.