Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 month ago

Is it rude to decline my sister's wedding invitation?

Half sister to be precise. Anyway, I'm not going. I have better things to attend to.

Nope. Not rude at all. I actually have 4 1/2 sisters and 4 1/2 brothers. I never went to any of their weddings, or anything else.. We seldom even speak and havent seen each other in over 20 years.

Your choice. but it better be important as to why you chose them over her wedding or else it may mean hard feelings later on.

• Trish

Depends on how much of a relationship you want with her.  If you have better things to do than attend her wedding then you obviously don't want a relationship with her.  Your choice.

• L

There is NO law stating you must go.  Do what ever you want.

what are these "better things you have to attend to"? then i'll let you know if that's justified...

• Steph1 month agoReport

like your opinion matters at all...

If you wish to avoid a huge fight with mutual family members, then I highly suggest that you act like an adult.An invitation is not a subpoena. You are always free to say “no.” 

What WOULD be rude would be telling the couple/hosts that you won’t be attending because you have “better things to do.” Or if you don’t tell them directly, but you go blabbing that around to other people - whether or not it makes it through the grapevine to the couple that you “have better things to do” and can’t be bothered with their wedding, it’s still rude and trashy for you to say that. Go, don’t go, I couldn’t care less, but keep your reasons to yourself. It’s rudeAF to broadcast your feelings on the matter. 

At face value ... no, it’s not “rude” to decline a family member’s wedding. Like I said, you’re always within your rights to decline an event you’d rather not attend, even for a full sibling. But it’s Also up to you if this is a battle you want to fight with mutual family members and friends. Is this going to cause World War III with your parents? With your sister? Grandma? If you would like to maintain even a *cordial* relationship with this sister, Even just as simple as seeing her at a mutual family gathering or Christmas, then that’s going to be *very* difficult if you skip out on her wedding for Anything less than a true emergency. Skipping a close family member’s wedding for no real reason is a very public statement about your feelings for them. Is the potential fallout something you’re willing to deal with?

If you have no relationship with her whatsoever, and if mutual relatives will not cause a stink, then simply check off the decline box on the RSVP card and mail it back in a timely fashion. It would be very kind of you to send a card wishing them well, but strictly speaking you don’t have to do that. A gift is totally optional. But keep your reasons to yourself… If someone is rude enough to ask you why you are not going, simply reply “I am unable to attend” and leave it at that.

But if you would like to stay on decent terms with your sister, and/or If you wish to avoid a huge fight with mutual family members, then I highly suggest that you act like an adult. Wear a nice outfit, smile and wish them well, spend some time at the reception talking to people in mature fashion, bring them a card and a small gift, and deal with it. It won’t kill you to act like an adult for a few hours out of one day of your life.

• If you don't want to go then I don't think it's rude to decline an invitation. If there's an RSVP, select decline with regrets. But do at least send them a card.They thought they were close enough to you to invite you.

Yes, but an invitation is not a legal summons.  Clearly you don't want to attend, and that's fine.  Just return the RSVP with "regrets" and move on.  For all you know she only invited you as a courtesy and will be thrilled that you won't attend. 

Well **** you too then. 

• Rick

It's a choice - it's your choice and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Don't go if you don't want to, and you don't have to give anyone an explanation.