Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

What did Americans think of the movie Braveheart when released in May 1995?

Update:

Politically for the Scottish cause of freedom.

Update 2:

Trump is William Wallace and the Democrats are nasty tyranical  English/British 

Update 3:

The English did persecute the Scottish Irish and Welsh.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It was considered a good movie but a little too graphic in its depictions of violence and sadistic revenge.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jeff
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It was entertaining but not the least bit historically accurate.

• 1 month ago

It was a major hit and box office success.  It led to boom in American tourism to Scotland, but I don't think it did a whole lot in America for the cause of Scottish nationalism

Americans, in my opinion, tend to see history more as a movie than they see movies as a way to appreciate history.  From our own revolutionary history, we are accustomed to thinking of the English as stock "movie villains" in much the same way we've been conditioned to  see the Nazis. 

This notion is reinforced by the fact that Gibson basically re-made the movie as "The Patriot" five years later, with him returning as the humble family man and pacifist, driven to act after the murder of a loved one, who becomes a hero in a cause bigger than himself... and once again, the English were the "bad guys"....complete with Draco Malfoy's dad as the "stock movie villain."

Sadly, I think the world of Braveheart was no more real to most American audiences than the Nottingham and Sherwood Forest worlds of their childhood Robin Hood stories...

• Kevin
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Good movie.  Far from historically accurate.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

We thought the King of England was a d!ckhead.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.