Why are there no ECW matches that received five stars from Dave Meltzer?

Several over four stars. Three were rated 4.5, one 4.75. Surprised none of the Lynn vs. RVD series never got five.

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

Juventud Guerrera vs Rey Mysterio Jr. at Big A** Extreme Bash was rated 5 stars by Dave Meltzer, and I'd agree that there are most definitely a few classic ECW matches that deserve the 5 star treatment in my opinion.  However, those ratings are based solely on Meltzer's opinion so why overly validate them or undermine them?

He only has like 3 PWG matches on his list as 5 star, none of which I agree with, and a massive catalog from that company that I believe should take those sparse placements.  But, again, I digress.  The man has his opinions and I disagree with the vast majority of them.  To each their own.

Has Meltzer ever tried to explain how his rating system even works?  

Personally I have always felt the guy was a putz and a glory hound whose bought into his own press.

Being fair that was the reason the Five Star Frog Splash got its name because Meltzer admittedly refused to give ECW a 5 star rating.