What are the strengths of American education system?

Many world-renounded universities are located in the US. Ivy League ones, MIT, CB come to mind even though I have never been to US myself. They score highly on international rankings and command gigantic prestige. From what I have researched about universities in US, I am honestly slightly disappointed (at least I imagined something else for the price they charge).

This raises the question: what are the strengths of US education system? There certainly have to be some significant strengths. What am I not seeing? I am not only asking about prestigious universities but about the system as a whole as well. Also, what are the weaknesses (if you perceive any). 

DISCLAIMER! I am asking questions here because I want to learn about how education is done in US . Whilst I certainly have some strong opinions on this matter I do not mean to offend or preach my point of view. I only want to understand the rationale behind certain peculiarities that seam strange and pointless to me.

Lets put it this way Iam, you dont have to be Einstein to go to college here. This is a good thing cause everyone can try. I am not going to talk about negatives, cause you know how these people react.

• cool

If you are a world class talent, then the American higher education system is the best option. 

Average students tend to pay a high cost with regards to education in the US, both financially and psychologically.

• cool
      4 weeks agoReport

It's a sliding scale. They may end up with a poorly paid job, or they may end up unemployable. Some fields are more unforgiving than others.

American education system is based on the premise that the public, the electorate, should be educated. And a broadly-based education allows people to find their métier, as well as provide a broad general education which can be applied, used, in many ways throughout life. People with a broadly based education have more personal resources, are more adaptable to economic & technological change, etc. This is why public K-12 schools offer a wide variety of courses, and require a number of specifics - e.g. English, history & social studies, math, sciences, etc. Bachelor's degree programs likewise have general education (or distribution) requirements, with most specialization - major field of study - done in the junior & senior years. True intense specialization comes at graduate school levels.

Some countries channel kids very early into narrow specializations. Depth of knowledge is great, but the sacrifice is less adaptability, less freedom of choice. If an occupation becomes technologically obsolete (which has often happened throughout history!), they have a very hard time switching gears, adapting.

• Cosa4 weeks agoReport

Iam, just as you say , it is a model. Does not mean that you are finished in 4 years. Unless you got your associates in high school. Most kids are not done in 4 years. Remember it costs a lot of money here, and most kids have jobs while they go to college, over here.

What are you basing your "strong opinions" on if you've never been here and never been in school here? Part of the reason that the US has many highly ranked universities is because the US was one of the first countries to have universal education through 12th grade, available to everyone. We used to invest heavily in education- that's changed somewhat since the 1980s. We've become complacent about having an edge in science and technology, and we're risking losing that edge. Another reason is the same reason we win a lot of Olympic medals- we have a lot of people, and a system that rewards performance. So the smartest students rise to attend the elite universities, and it's the competition in those universities that ends up with highly productive graduates. 

Stop believing stories you read, or the way movies depict education in the US. Schools aren't really like that. 

• Iam1 month agoReport

I have strong opinions on the purposes of higher education, not the US system itself. I cannot judge the system since, as you have pointed out, I have never even lived in US.

• Rick

teaches kids to THINK, not just repeat facts ..................

• Iam1 month agoReport

What does that mean in real life?