What is the standard minimum Lumber Beam size for a span of a 24’ Beam with baring on the 8”by 8” posts? For a Car port?
- jimanddottaylorLv 71 month ago
I needed a beam with a 24 foot span , but could not get one at that length. Was told to go to a steel I beam, but needed an engineer to sign off on the size.
- boy boyLv 71 month ago
i have been a builder for 50 ..you must be a texan ..only a cowboy would even think of it ....half the span plus 2 ....so lets say its a 14"x8" @ 24ft ...oak maybe ..and a crane to lift it ..two steel post and an RSJ would be my way
- regeruggedLv 71 month ago
There is no standard. Single pieces of lumber do not come in 24 foot lengths. You should shop for engineered lumber, laminated beams.
- ?Lv 71 month ago
It depends on your location and whether there might be a snow load upon the roof.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 month ago
(1) WRONG FORUM. This is the Cars & Transportation Maintenance & Repair forum.
(2) The correct forum is here: https://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index?sid=396545398
(3) When asking again, be sure to say WHERE you are, dumbass. The building codes aren't universal.
(4) A logical and intelligent person who isn't lazy would look up the building code themselves instead of relying on disinterested 3rd party information that could be wrong or intentionally misleading. Here's a head start: https://www.buildingsguide.com/blog/resources-buil...Source(s): COMMON SENSE.Get some.