Does this sound ideal , in terms of self-employment?

I wish to open a free-standing ice cream truck.   This means the truck would not travel, though instead fixated on a lot/location. I have no training on operating a vehicle , nor do I have a license, due to my disability.

I wish to sell frozen wrapped ice cream treats . Operating , working alone . Setting my own schedule etc. I live in a climate   which is warm year round. So I'd hope to operate all year , as opposed to seasonally.

Must I purchase land in the city which I Iive?

Must I obtain a food/beverage license?

How much money do I need to get started?

How profitable would this be ?

Let me simply ask : How can I get started?

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

#1  You will need to have the permission of a landlord who will allow you to park your truck on their property for a year or more.  You will have to pay rent.  You will not be allowed to leave your truck parked on the street for more than 24 hours at a time.

#2 I cannot find a single thing wrong with selling frozen treats in a warm climate.  You can be open year round!

#3 You do not have to purchase land.  You can lease it.

#4 Yes, you must have a food service license of some sort

#5 Make a business plan.  That will tell you how much you need to get started.  If you do not have a lawyer, accountant or friend who will do it for you, you can get a cheap and basic one on the Fiverr site.

#6 Part of your business plan will predict profitability, because it depends on your costs and how many hours you work every day.

#7 You get started by going to the Library and getting a college level business book and reading about how to make a business plan.  and then you follow the instructions and make one, you get your lawyer to make one ....see answer #5

I will add one of the most important things of any business but even more so with an ice cream truck. You need to be a fundamentally nice person and friendly and outgoing would be even better. You are going to be dealing with kids and parents mostly and if you are unkind they won't come back. I don't know you, I'm not saying anything against you, but if that doesn't describe you then you might think about that.

This sounds impossible.

If you can't operate a vehicle, then you have no way to get the ice cream or other treats to the truck.  You would only be able to sell what was already on the truck when you bough it; after that you would have no way to restock.

You would need a food license.

You would need to buy or rent land if it's a place that doesn't allow an ice cream truck to stay in the same parking space on the street forever.

But if you can't drive to refill the truck, then it won't be profitable at all.