What is causing my car to make this noise and should I be liable as its only occurred since coming back from a garage? ?

I took my car to a garage last week for a major service & to fix a broken coil spring (nearside) which snapped about a month ago. I also asked for them to source and fit 2 new tyres for the front axle.

Anyway when they dropped the car off (eventually) I took it for a short drive and noticed a slight whirling / churning noise coming from the drivers side (off side) part of the car at low speeds. I noticed as soon as I applied the brakes that the noise went away so I called the garage up and they said after taking it for a drive themselves they will take the car back and have a look at what is going on. It was initially suspected that the pads were slightly rubbing on the disc and that they should be able to play around with the brake system to get rid of this. 

2 days later the garage called me and said they had the brake system apart and cleaned it all up but the noise was still there. They ran the car on the ramp without the pads fitted and the noise disappeared but they said the pads had plenty of material on them. They said that they will have to charge me money to investigate further but its looking likely its either the caliper or pads but the car was safe to drive as normal. 

My problem is, is that this issue wasn't there before it went in to their garage and surely they have disturbed something? 

Any ideas what it could be and are they liable? Even though they say its safe I'm not sure I fully trust them but if I took it to anothet garage it would cost more money. 

The noise could also be described as a scraping sound! 

What's the bigger issue, the safety or the money?

• arther

the reason garages make no money working on old cars where everything you touch is rooted.

Until the actual cause is found, we can't know who is responsible. It is POSSIBLE the problem was already there, but not detectable until they fixed what they fixed.

It is also possible they messed something up. In the later case, a good shop will correct the error at no additional charge.

• Barry

I think the noise is co-incidental to the service etc. As it disappears when you brake it must be the pads brushing the rotors which is normal.. Maybe if you do a few hard braking tests it will lessen. But if the brakes are working OK it's nothing to worry about.

It's probably just a brake backing plate that got bent a little and is rubbing against a rotor. Take it back and have them fix it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • John1 month agoReport

They said they would charge for any more work on it as they've already had it back on the ramp and everything seemed fine.