How can I talk to my boss about wanting to transfer to a different department within the company?

I work in a small Human Resources department at a large company. I’ve been with the company for 6 years and in Human Resources for just under 5 of those years. I’m 28 years old and I’m thankful for all the skills I’ve gained from doing this type of work but I know with certainty that I do not want to work in Human Resources for the rest of my life. In fact I’m really unhappy, not just because I don’t like this type of work but also mainly because I can’t stand working for my boss who is the VP of hr. She is a very manipulative, controlling woman. She micro manages every task and I can’t work like this. I would never tell her that she’s the reason why I want to leave this department but she’ll probably take it personally anyway and I don’t think she’ll support or allow me to transfer to another department even if there was an open position. I don’t know if having this conversation will hurt me or backfire. But I really want to stay with this company, I just want to pursue a new path. I would feel comfortable having this conversation if my boss wasn’t who she is if that makes sense. Any advice? Again I want to stay at this company rather than look for a new job, I like this company just not my job. 

Get a grip and stop making assumptions about what your boss might or might not do.  READ the HR policy on internal transfers.  Do you need your boss' permission to apply or only to transfer or do they not have any say at all? 

There is zero point in have a conversation with your boss until you are actively applying for a specific internal job for which you are qualified.  Figure it out.  Is there an open job for which you meet the hiring qualifications?  Are you interesting in the job? Have you had any conversation with the hiring manager about their willingness to consider you?  What are the next steps after that?

When you do talk to your boss you position it as your desire to move into a different field or grow rather than what you don't like about your current job or manager.  

It sounds like you're just unhappy in your job but aren't actually doing the things you need to do to research other opportunities and understand how to move into a different job.  

You told us 2 or 3 days ago, that you are an HR Generalist and your boss micromanages you and you can't do your job. You made it clear to me that you had the skills to be an HR Generalist. But you are asking this basic question to a bunch of strangers = so you either don't have the skills for your job or you don't have the confidence to do your job.  Either way, shouldn't your supervisor be micromanaging you?"transfer to another department even if there was an open position"- is there a specific area that you are interested in moving into?  Are you willing to take an entry level position in that area or do you have the skills to move into a professional role there? 

If the answers are "no", I'm just interested in leaving where I'm at but there is not a specific area I'm focusing on = then you don't say anything at this time. And when a position becomes available that you are interested in, you focus on that and relate the conversation specific to your qualifications and interests.If you are focusing on a specific area, then you start career development conversations around that and how you can begin developing skills to move into that area. 

• Alex

The conversation needs to be about what you want from your career advancement, rather than what you don't like about your current position.  "I want to advance to ___.  What do I need to do to make that happen?"  This keeps it positive and shouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers.