Who gets punished if a manager over hires for a project?

Let's say a department at a company as expecting an extremely busy next few months and decides to hire 10 new employees to match the expected workload. But then it turns out that it wasn't as busy as expected and only 5 new employees were really needed to meet the new work demand, and the other 5 new employees are left without much to do and are just sitting around doing nothing because all of the work is being taken care of. Will the 5 new hires that have little or nothing to do because of the hiring managers hiring forecast mistake be laid off? Or will the manager be fired?

It doesn't seem like it's the employees fault, and some of the new employees may have relocated across the entire country, only to be laid off and left in a brand new city with nothing to show for it except being laid off after a month because work demands were less than expected

I guess a concrete example would be a hospital expecting increased load on the doctors and nurses because of COVID-19 when the virus started spreading. Hospitals may have hired 100+ new staff to accommodate the expected increase in hospital demand. But then, if it turns out that no one in the area got COVID-19 or there were very few cases, the new hires would have been for waste

In the future use contract workers.

The 5 will be laid off.

I don't think that over-hiring is necessarily a "punishable" offense. Or a fire-able one. Overestimation is a pretty common built-in risk in some industries. And most employees are hired on a probationary period before being permanently made members of staff. If a manager over-hires, he might get talked to, or at the most reprimanded--but I seriously doubt a company would fire him or her unless there was something else that resulted as a consequence of the over-hiring. And I can't even think what that might be. 

All people who work know that if they relocate for a new job there is ALWAYS a risk they will not last. No job is so secure it's bulletproof. 

I work on projects. If I needed help then I would have a rough idea of how many people I would need to help me. I would make sure that work is available instead of assuming that work will be available, for people to do.

• Scott

The person that hired too many people gets sent to bed without dinner. What makes you think anybody gets punished? I guess the new hires who aren't needed get punished by losing their jobs.

Managers are accountable but over hiring happens. Nobody can predict exactly.

• Kieth

The other five get dismissed, and the manager has to buy the donuts for the next meeting.

Nobody is punished, like having to serve time or pay a fine. Depending upon the organization, quite a few methods determine who is to leave. Most companies based decisions like this upon seniority (if everyone is of equal qualifications) because it's almost random method.  Other organizations will determine who are most qualified, etc. and others will base it upon performance of the individuals.

• Eva

The new hires will be let go. The manager would be punished if he/she kept them on when they weren't needed thereby adding to the cost of the project.

• Travis1 month agoReport

Yes, but how is that fair for the employee that relocated across the entire country to find work, only to be laid off because of a bad hiring decision without even being given a chance to prove their worth to the company