Anonymous

Should I do a Student Loan Forgiveness program (see details)?

I have $14,000 due from a community college. Interest Rates aren’t helping (NJ). Would any of the programs affect me, negatively? Thoughts?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

You don't really provide details.  There are pros and cons of every type of program, so the details of the specific loan forgiveness program would be important to consider.  Sometimes they require a LOT of work, or work in a particular area.  That might not be a big deal and might be well worth it.  

You don't have an overwhelming amount of debt, so you would need to determine if it's better for you to just pay it off over time or take advantage of a forgiveness program that might be available.

$14K in student loan debt is not excessive at all.  Many people owe much more than that on their auto loans.  You don't discuss your current ability to repay.  That is a critical factor.

That amount of debt isn’t that horrible. What is that like 150 a month? I’m going off of someone I know who pays 94 a month for 9000 in student loans. Get a job, even 15 an hour a week at full time would more than pay that monthly bill. I’m so glad I started working before I started school. It’s just normal to me.