Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

Why might my truck be running hot?

I have a 1997 f150 and it started running hot; I drove it for a week straight with nothing wrong and then the other day when starting it up it ran hot straight away so I drained everything and refilled it. I started it up and let it run for 20 minutes and it was fine but soon as I started driving it, it ran hot again but when I let up off the gas it went back to normal. After I few hours I tried again, it started to run hot but didn't overheat so I continued to drive and it eventually went down to normal and stayed there and I drove it around for the next 30 minutes and it was good. I got home, let it cool off, and tried to start it up again and once again it ran hot... Does anyone have any idea on what this sounds like?

• M.

Maybe the thermostat has stuck shut?

Change it.

Did you run the motor for 15 minutes with the radiator cap off to purge the air from the cooling system? If you did replace the thermostat next.

A faulty Thermostat would be at the top of my list.

Thermostat could be sticking.  Replace it first.  Check if the engine is loosing coolant, bleed the coolant and check if the radiator fan is running at idle.

• Bill

Thermostat.