Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

Why might my truck be running hot?

I have a 1997 f150 and it started running hot; I drove it for a week straight with nothing wrong and then the other day when starting it up it ran hot straight away so I drained everything and refilled it. I started it up and let it run for 20 minutes and it was fine but soon as I started driving it, it ran hot again but when I let up off the gas it went back to normal. After I few hours I tried again, it started to run hot but didn't overheat so I continued to drive and it eventually went down to normal and stayed there and I drove it around for the next 30 minutes and it was good. I got home, let it cool off, and tried to start it up again and once again it ran hot... Does anyone have any idea on what this sounds like?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Maybe the thermostat has stuck shut?

Change it.

• 4 months ago

Did you run the motor for 15 minutes with the radiator cap off to purge the air from the cooling system? If you did replace the thermostat next.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

A faulty Thermostat would be at the top of my list.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Thermostat could be sticking.  Replace it first.  Check if the engine is loosing coolant, bleed the coolant and check if the radiator fan is running at idle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Thermostat.            

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.