Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I get unemployment for digestive issues?

Hello,

I was on FMLA at one of my employers due to digestive and pelvic floor issues. I was receiving medical help once or twice a week if not more. I had to leave this job due to an unsafe work environment with I report to HR as harassment and bullying and ended up quitting. 

I found a position that would accommodate my doctors appointments and such but was let go due to COVID-19. I was frantically looking for a job and accepted a work from home position. Unfortunately, It does not accommodate my medical appointments. I am finding that my health is suffering during this time and wish to quit until I can find a position that will accommodate my needs. This employer also has strict guidelines/expectations on how often you can go to the RR but I have a note from my gastroenterologist stating I need Unlimited access to the bathroom at all times as sometimes I can be in there for +30 min due to an issue that I cannot control. 

Do I qualify for unemployment? What documentation will I need to provide? 

I have a tortuous colon and weak pelvic floor. This causes severe constipation, diarrhea, hip and abdominal pain accompanied with ongoing nausea/vomiting.  I was seeking medical help from a gastroenterologist, pelvic floor therapist, and a gynecologist.

Will I need a hearing?

You should probably look into disability payments. 

If you quit, you do not qualify.  See, part of unemployment requires you be able to work, and you are stating you are essentially unable to work.

You would not qualify for unemployment. Your issue more closely resembles disability.