Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Shouldn't all aquarium fish be set free?

Stop holding them prisoner.  These creatures belong in the ocean or in freshwater lakes, not in glorified bowls of water in your house.  They are living creatures with rights, not decorations. Stop the cruelty, please..

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

There's no cruelty in keeping aquarium fish because it's the same as keeping a dog or a cat unless you're keeping the aquarium fish incorrectly, also some fish are breed only to look at and would probably not survive in the wild.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Some fish are Man Made, so they would not be able to survive in the wild. 

• 4 weeks ago

I have 3 discus, one is 5 years old, how long would they make it in the Amazon do you think??? Plus the greater problem is invasive species like dumping the Volatian Lion Fish off the coast of Florida, like they have, and now they allow underwater scuba enthusiasts to spear fish them................they're poisonous, but I heard their meat is delicious.  LOT'S OF ISSUES WITH YOUR "EASY FIX"

• 4 weeks ago

haha fish go blub

• Drew4 weeks agoReport

but fr theyre bred in captivity and when your into the hobby and take them home its usually the most space they've ever lived in

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

When you keep fish and set them free, you are setting alien parasites and bacteria cultivated within your tank free and will throw the balance of the ecosystem off essentially destroying it. Some fish are also invasive so they are better off living in a tank. So unless you want to go and release gold fish that have been bred to live in fish tanks and release them into the wild and create another invasive species then go ahead, it is counter intuitive as an environmentalist... 

• 1 month ago

A lot of them are invasive and will kill alll of the plants in fish where they’re released.

• 1 month ago

A lot of fish people keep as pets are domesticated. 

I think we can all agree that bowls and tiny tanks are not acceptable. Most people do not provide large enough tanks for their fish and that is a problem. 

I also agree that people shouldn't keep them as decorations. I have seen people who don't even really like fish get a betta because it looks nice in its tiny bowl.  

• 1 month ago

The majority of the more common pet fish (koi, goldfish & bettas) are domesticated animals just as cats and dogs are, so no, not all aquarium fish should be set free.

Even some of the more 'wild' fish wouldn't fare well in natural bodies of water; glofish are genetically modified to literally glow, for example, even though they don't have a long history of domestication.

• 1 month ago

While this may be true for those caught in the wild, some types have been bred in captivity for so many generations with selective breeding that they would be unable to survive in thecwild.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.