San
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Which word is correct?

Building houses near this river carries the risk of (their / them) getting flooded in the near future.

Thanks!

• Pontus
    Favorite Answer

Technically: their.   

getting flooded - acts as a gerund (the verb flood in the dynamic passive voice, functioning as a noun, as the object of the preposition OF.

Since a noun would use the possessive determiner THEIR, a verb acting as a noun (a gerund) also takes THEIR.

However, many people in actual speech would use THEM. 

Note that gerunds look like present participles, but function differently.  Participles take the object form of the personal pronoun, instead of the possessive determiner.  See the link below for example of how participles differ from gerunds, and for cases where people use object pronouns when they should use the possessive.

Source(s): http://grammartips.homestead.com/possessivewithger... ; studied English grammar; taught French; studied linguistics for my teaching degree. 3 other foreign languages. I am well versed in how grammar works in English (and how my other languages differ). Went to school and got good grades.

Work around it: Building houses near this river risks flood damage in the near future

Them, obviously. Their doesn’t even make sense.

Source(s): I went to school.