Is it possible to not have a purpose in life?

I moved to NYC after college and I loved it and felt as close to my calling as I ever had however some things happened and everything unraveled. Nyc is just way too expensive of a place to live, so I am back in Texas and nothing just sparks me like it did in nyc. but also i dont know if I could ever go back since I failed so miserably the 1st time. Is it possible to not have a purpose in life? I've found part-time work at a craft store, but it's not enough to live the lifestlye I'd like to. lol I live with my mom and her 3rd husband. but yea is it possible im just a bit of a failure and toss in the towel and try to accept my craft-store life?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You picked the BIGGEST change in lifestyle by moving to NYC.  It is not for everyone; I live less than 2 hours from there, and have friends who NEVER GO - scared to drive, take a train, walk around - geez . . . they are missing out on a lot!    If you like city life - how about Austin, or another city in Texas that suits you?  If you are working PT in a crafts store, it sounds like you do not have the EDUCATION in something that pays better - or have been whiny/lazy about getting it.  Take at least a few classes at a local community college, and choose something that you can DO, not something *out there* that appeals to you.  Computer science, bookkeeping, medical billing - anything that is in demand and will make you your own money - and BENEFITS would be great.  I am a career professional classical musician, but I know where I am in the Food Chain, and how old I am - so you do not see me auditioning to the NY Philharmonic - I do what I am really good at, live outside NYC, get in when I want/need to - and have a very happy life.  If you are working part time, spend some time improving yourself (that means education not tats . . ) and also try to volunteer helping people who NEED it - right in your own community.  Volunteering is never a *waste of time* as some will say - it improves and motivates you as a person.  Be nice to yourself, and also be SERIOUS with yourself, and strict.  Make a plan - not a FANTASY - a plan that you can accomplish, no matter how long it takes.  Move one brick a day in the plan - you will build your dream house.  Good luck - CHEER UP - you are young, and have more going for you than you know, so take advantage of it!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Our purpose in life is to get to know and serve our Creator and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and to get prepared for eternity.  As far as a career goes, pray for God's will and direction in your life. Read the New Testament for more answers about life.  I suggest starting with the Gospel of John.  God has led me and blessed me a lot  since I asked Jesus into my life as Lord and Savior many years ago.  He is a faithful friend.  I recommend Him to you.  

• 1 month ago

Everyone has a purpose in their lives,, what you need is help finding clarity! Talk to someone :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.