How do people listen to over ear headphones?

I'm fine with listening to earbuds but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out and want to improve my music quality listening experience.

Over ear headphones are apparently the best when it comes to high quality headphones but they make my ears hurt and give me a huge headache after using them for over an hour.

Am I missing something? How do people use these things? I really want to listen to high quality headphones.

the over-the-ears have a bigger range. I can't have anything on my head without me getting a headache or just tired. Just as long as they sound good, you aren't missing out. Its always the music itself of the quality of the music that makes the difference.

Maybe you have the volume too high which can not only cause your symptoms but can permanently damage your eardrums 

• Newton

Depends on what you mean by "over the ear."  There are some headphones that you put right on top of the ears. They are called on ear headphones. They have the advantage of not blocking out ambient noise and so if someone calls you, then you can still hear them. The disadvantage is that the bass is weak. An example is many Sennheiser headphones

Then there are closed ear designs that surrounds you ears. They are called over the ear headphones.  The cushion rests on your facial area surrounding your ears, not on the ear itself. They give you much better bass and they are fairly comfortable. An example of this is the AKG K240. Some over the ear designs have a closed back. They give you the best bass but they can make you sweaty in hot weather. The AKG K240 has a semi-open back so it is more comfortable but the bass is slightly weaker. A semi-open back also lets in a bit more ambient noise than close back designs. So pick the type that best suit your tastes and needs.

The best headphones are the electrostatic designs such as the Stax, but the are pricey and I have never owned one or even heard music through one. But they are generally rated the best thing since sliced bread by people who have listened to them.  They too are over the ear designs. So, you may be confusing the on ear headphones with the over the ear ones. On ear headphones may make you uncomfortable because they press against your ears with a lot of force and rely on friction to keep them on your head. In fact, I had a Sennheiser wireless on ear headphone that had a weak spring, and it fell into the water when I bent my back over water. It got damaged beyond repair. So, on ear designs may fall off easily if they have weak springs or they may make you uncomfortable if they have strong springs on the headband.  Over the ear headphones are more comfortable as they do not need a strong spring and they have soft cushions. On ear headphones do not have cushions between the ear and the headphone because they would block out the sound.

• Tony B

Speaking for myself I would never even think of pushing something into my ears - the ear canal, even the outer part of it is very easily damages. It's also, to me, very important that these silly earbud things are regularly cleaned at sterilised and, of course, it's impossible to pass them to someone else for them to listen briefly to something.

A decent set of headphones (OBVIOUSLY correctly worn and adjusted are more comfortable, more hygienic and won't cause any kind of problems with the ears. There also should be no problems with them being shared.So far as sound quality goes, with ear buds, basically there is none. Headphones don't produce very good sound quality (compared to a decent set of speakers) but at least they have reasonably-sized drivers and have a chance of producing something listenable.If a person actually wants to LISTEN to music, not just have it making a noise in the background then there's really no contest.

Headphones need to be adjusted to fit the individual head of the listener. 

If they are too tight, of course they will cause some discomfort, and possibly a headache. 

I have also had them cause a different kind of headache by being too loose.

Try some Sony MDR-7506

Those are the most comfortable I've ever had, in 40+ years of using headphones. Plus they are about the best quality you will get at any price.

Be sure to properly adjust the headband length at either side so the earpiece weight is taken across the top of your head  & they are not pulling on your ears.

if your ear hurts maybe you should get bigger ones

maybe you need a better size headphone

• njknkjnjk1 month agoReport

Any recs? I have ATH-M50x headphones and will prob return them