Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Is it better to take a supplement or to just eat the real thing?

I eat a plant based diet...and I found out I was very low in omega 3s. I now realize that people who are on plant based diets need algae supplements to substitute for their lack of omega 3s.

My friend told me it isn't good to take that algae supplement and I should just eat fish very rarely..instead.

Not sure how I feel about this, what is your opinion

oh and seeds and nuts I have found only convert to ALA, not EPA and DHA......so they are a poor source for omega 3s.

• denise

I presume its better to eat the real thing,  But I take Omega 3 supplements [with cod liver oil] because I don't eat a lot of fish, just occasional tuna in salad or a sandwich.

or you can up your intake of walnuts and flax seed oils.  Or take fish oil supplements. 

I think just about the whole human race is on a “plant-based diet” and most of us need no supplements at all. 

Most people who have the kind of issue you mention are those who consume plants exclusively (i.e. vegans). Unless there is a medical reason for your problem (diagnosed by a doctor)  then you diet is at fault and you need  take professional advice.

• Anton

It is FAR better to simply have a good tasty food, the stupid pyramid food thing -- meat, grain, vegetables, dairy, not too much oil or sugar.  I have been doing that for 73 years, no supplements, am still rather healthy.