i have a flux core welder can i use solid wire in it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Most low-end flux core machines aren't cost-effective to try and convert, for example, a $100 HF flux only or similar won't be able to regulate gas flow before and after the weld begins and often you would have to change out the wire feed liner to match the thinner diameter solid wire. If you need to do better welding it pays to get a DC power shielding gas unit, not just an upgraded HF type that still runs AC. I got a Forney for a fair price, there are MIller, Hobart, and Lincoln also at various price points. If you plan to keep welding then a good quality welder pays for itself in a few years. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If you have no gas it wont work . If you can connect up gas and reverse the polarity it can. I gather your talking about a gasless mig? 

• Rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you use flux paste on the parts to weld, yes.  All the flux does is cleans to surfaces before you weld them ......................

• ...Show all comments
    • falconry2
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Flux in the wire displaces oxygen away from the weld pool instead of using shielding inert gas. It doesn't work as well, but in some situations like working outside, shielding gas won't work anyway. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.