What is the term for this valve I'd like to control?

I'm working on making my own 'smart' sprinkler system, something internet connected that I can control with my phone while I'm at work. I bought an Orbit brand electronic sprinkler timer and took it apart to learn about it and use parts. The valve inside seems to be controlled with a 24v pulse and then switches from closed to open and vice versa. I'm somewhat familiar with something like a normally closed or normally open solenoid where voltage is constantly applied to change states but I'm not sure what this valve is called to do more research. I need to do more research because although I can get it to switch states sometimes with three 9v batteries in series I can't get it to switch reliably. TIA!

• qrk
    Favorite Answer

It's a "solenoid valve", or irrigation solenoid valve.

9V batteries can't supply much current, thus probably not suited to drive a solenoid valve. You need a stiffer power source. If you have a ammeter, measure the current at the rated voltage and choose a suitable power source.

• qrk

Why not use the same idea to use a bulk capacitor to provide the current spike to switch the valve. Use a series resistor to limit the recharge current. You batteries will be much happier.

Are you sure you are seeing a valve inside the timer? I have never seen a sprinkler timer with that sort of arrangement. Since most sprinkler systems have multiple zones they have multiple valves controlling each zone.

You can get manuals for Orbit timers online. I would suggest you look on line for the manuals that match your timer.

I can't identify the valve used in your 

Orbit sprinkler control without a model

number.

In all cases solenoid valves are used.

Solenoid valves are self closing under 

water pressure and require power only

while open. The power required is beyond 

seriesed 9V batteries.

I can't guess what kind of modem you use to relay power from your phone code.

Hopefully, it can relay 24VDC from a

wall wart.

Good  luck