What is the term for this valve I'd like to control?

I'm working on making my own 'smart' sprinkler system, something internet connected that I can control with my phone while I'm at work. I bought an Orbit brand electronic sprinkler timer and took it apart to learn about it and use parts. The valve inside seems to be controlled with a 24v pulse and then switches from closed to open and vice versa. I'm somewhat familiar with something like a normally closed or normally open solenoid where voltage is constantly applied to change states but I'm not sure what this valve is called to do more research. I need to do more research because although I can get it to switch states sometimes with three 9v batteries in series I can't get it to switch reliably. TIA!

3 Answers

  • qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's a "solenoid valve", or irrigation solenoid valve.

    9V batteries can't supply much current, thus probably not suited to drive a solenoid valve. You need a stiffer power source. If you have a ammeter, measure the current at the rated voltage and choose a suitable power source.

    • ...Show all comments
    • qrk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Why not use the same idea to use a bulk capacitor to provide the current spike to switch the valve. Use a series resistor to limit the recharge current. You batteries will be much happier.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Are you sure you are seeing a valve inside the timer? I have never seen a sprinkler timer with that sort of arrangement. Since most sprinkler systems have multiple zones they have multiple valves controlling each zone.

    You can get manuals for Orbit timers online. I would suggest you look on line for the manuals that match your timer.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    I can't identify the valve used in your 

    Orbit sprinkler control without a model


    In all cases solenoid valves are used.

    Solenoid valves are self closing under 

    water pressure and require power only

    while open. The power required is beyond 

    seriesed 9V batteries.

    I can't guess what kind of modem you use to relay power from your phone code.

    Hopefully, it can relay 24VDC from a

    wall wart.

    Good  luck 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.