Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Does the dad need an id to be at childbirth?

He lost his liscense and all the dmvs are still closed due to covid.. you can order a replacement but it will take 2 weeks minimum and I’m due any day now I’m sure before 2 weeks. 

I was just wondering since I need my id I didn’t know if visitors also need their id as well

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

You're going to have to call the hospital and ask. To be physically present I don't think he needs ID, but they may require him to provide some kind of proof of his identity before signing an affidavit of paternity. A copy of his birth certificate would work, or passport or military ID if he has one. At the very least he can order a replacement online, print out the "temporary" DL they'll give you, and file all the paperwork related to the birth later. States give you a grace period to do this since not every father is able to be present at the child's birth, even if married to the mother.

• God

Before Corona most hospitals let the mother decide who could be present.  With the current Corona restrictions you need to find out what your hospital requires.

• Edna

A visitor to a hospital does not need to show any kind of ID. 

• Ashley4 weeks agoReport

Not true both hospitals near me require an id to enter whether you are a patient or a visitor 

No anyone can be acting as a dad.   I would take a friend along so she can see what a mess and gross things having a child is really and those stretch marks last a lifetime and your breast fall like they are bowling pins after you quit breast feeding and they will get stretch marks on them as well.   The whole thing is gross.

Source(s): Been there, done that

That's a question to ask the hospital.  It isn't likely he'll need a driver's license if you say he is your husband.  That noted, each hospital has its own rules about who can be with an admitted patient and or in the delivery room know due to COVID-19.  CALL the hospital where you plan to delver and ask them.

• helene

Call the hospital on the main number and ask.

I do not recall ever having to present ID to go into a hospital, except as a patient.

Who knows.....different hospitals different rules.

To check against what? The hospital is going to believe the dad is who you say the dad is. There's no "oh we need to check that he's really the dad" because there's no way to check that until well after the baby's born, so who they let in as the dad for the childbirth is based 100% on who you say the dad is.

• LizB

document legally acknowledging paternity whether they are married to the mother or not. If they cannot be present at the birth to do this, the document has to be signed within 5 days. Longer than 5 days, you have to pay filing fees.

• Barry

Why won't the mother to be recognise him?