Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

JiffyLube put replacement battery on opposite terminals and blew my car. How should I go about getting them to pay for the damages to my car?

Hello! I went to Jiffy Lube recently for a simple battery replacement. I bought a brand new battery from NAPA ($152) and wanted that in my car. Upon switching the batteries, they placed the terminals incorrectly, blew my car and could not get my car to start. 

A day later, they said they fixed my car but when driving it, it wasn't fixed at all. I HAD NO PRIOR PROBLEMS WITH MY CAR WHATSOEVER BEFORE GETTING BATTERY REPLACED. My car broke down on the side of the road. I called for a jump start ($60), then needed a tow because it broke down a mile from the auto shop ($129). The mechanic called and said I need a brand new alternator ($500). The alternator I have is still fairly new. From a simple battery replacement, I am paying about $700 in car repair because of the VERY BASIC mistake they made.Does anyone have any prior experience with this? I do expect them to cover this, if they do not, who should I reach out to? 

I’m not asking for your mechanically advice as everything that has happened, has already occurred. Just looking for whatever to help me potentially get them to pay for this. Thank you 

When they attempted to replace my battery, they blew my alternator. They "fixed" my car, only for my alternator to give out 20mi later. I had no previous problems with my alternator. They caused this and I am expecting them to pay for my new alternator. Although, the alternator is 3 1/2yrs old. Still, there were no problems. Is this a reasonable thing to ask for? 

IF anyone was wondering, Jiffy Lube was found liable for the damages to my car and had to write me a large sum check!!! When they placed the battery terminals on backwards, they blew my battery fuse and that led to the demise of my alternator. This was proved and stated by the auto mechanics who fixed my car after Jiffy Lube. 

• Edd S

The Attorney General's office in your state will have a conslumer affairs office dealing with vehicle matters.  Talk to them.  Write up everything including dealer, address, phone. email and what happened.

That would be a matter for a court of civil law.  That's the only way, in fact.  This is a legal matter, not a mechanical matter.

First things first. In any court of law in the civilized world, the burden of proof lies entirely with the plaintiff (accuser, aggrieved, prosecutor, etc.) and not the defendant (accused).  You are clearly the plaintiff in this case, as you've suffered loss or damage and are demanding compensation from the defendant.  You need to understand that Jiffy Lube doesn't need to prove anything here, but you need to prove everything, because that's how this works.

So... what proof do you have?  Video footage of the technician hooking up the new battery incorrectly will work, so do you have that?  

No you don't, so what other proof do you have?

• STEVEN F

In this case, the vehicle driving out of the parking lot, or even into the parking lot, disproves the plaintiff's claim.

Hire an attorney right now!

• Snezzy

The main problem was trusting one of those oil-change shops. Old guys like me would never go there except at gunpoint. Eventually we all learn that a really good mechanic is worth his higher price and his methodical approach. You go in for what you thought was a simple oil change and he says, "Look at this leak. We should do something about that." You know you can trust him because he never cheats or lies. Crap-O-Lube would try to sell you a transmission flush. Your good mechanic won't.

Try getting money from the corporate office, but I am afraid that you have paid tuition at the School of Hard Knox. 

• Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

good pragmatic answer

Step 1: Figure out how to convince a jury Jiffy Lube will replace batteries.

Step 2: I IRRELEVANT because step 1 won't happen.

Note: If they battery was installed with the battery polarity reversed, electrical system would FRY before the engine started the first time. You COULDN'T break down at the side of the road, because you would never get TO the road.

YOUR alternator was ALREADY DEAD, which is what drained the battery in the first place.

Update to comment: I am 100% right that if the battery was installed backwards, they couldn't drive the car out of the service bay. There is NO WAY you drove it a mile before it died it the polarity of the battery was reversed.

• Hope you feel like a FOOL because you were 100% WRONG! And that is why I am getting back $800+ from Jiffy Lube. Looks like you need to do some more research. 

If you're dumb enough to go to jiffy lube after all the thousands of complaints online you brought it on yourself. I guess you don't want you to if you watch Netflix or some other cable TV. why don't you just steal another alternator if it doesn't have a lock on it belongs to you anyways.

• Youre the dummy because I am getting paid out by Jiffy Lube! Everything covered and paid for and some. You hating trolls are dumb.

Sounds like a TROLL story.  Unless you bought a battery with the WRONG terminal orientation, it is HARD to install the terminals incorrectly.  You have to install extensions to the cables to do it.  The engineers have thought of this scenario and built the cables so it is just the correct length to the exact mm.  You just need to put a battery with the CORRECT terminal orientation, + on right and - on left (Type L) or vice versa (Type R).  And the battery only goes in one way.  If you have the correct battery and install it backwards, the cables will not reach.  And yes, Napper installs them for free as pit bull says.  They even clean the battery terminals.

Please try installing the positive cable to the negative terminal of a battery with the correct terminal orientation.  Just try it.

• Kailoni L.1 month agoReport

I wish it was a TROLL story! Just a FML story. I called and ask this NAPA if they installed them and he said you had to do it somewhere else. Never been to NAPA before and he may have been confused on my question. 

hmm, napa installs them

• M.

The place that sold you the battery may have installed it for free, and they surely have a better record than Jiffy Lube as far as battery installation.

• Barry

Keep all documentation. If they won't pay your expenses sue in the small claims court.

• Kailoni L.2 weeks agoReport

I did threaten Small Claims Court after they tried to only pay for half of my alternator, but ended up having them pay the full amount and some! 

• Scott

Don't take your car to Gyppy Lube for anything. Make sure you keep all receipts and contact their corporate office.

• Kailoni L.1 month agoReport

Never go there. Only for the basics. Who would have known an oil change and battery replacement could go so wrong