Hallucination or real?

I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth when I saw an absolutely massive spider. I immediately backed out of the bathroom to get the bug spray, and it didn't take long for me to get it, but when I got back I couldn't find the spider. The absolutely massive spider. A spider that big can't hide easily. It's body wasn't huge, but it's legs made it bigger than a baseball. Small (baby) plate sized. I've never seen a spider that big in person, but now that I can't find it I wonder if it was a hallucination. I've seen spiders that were't there before. Admittedly never that big, never whitish, and I was usually half asleep, but I have seen spiders that weren't actually there before. Do you think it was real or just in my head? Regardless, I'm glad that bathroom is a death field for insects. It's filled with bug poison. If the spider's real, it's going to die. :\

Favorite Answer

Hard to say, usually those sorts are quick to vanish. Where I lived, spiders near as big as my hand were common, look up huntsman or fishing spiders.

Harmless though, I don't kill them. They eat the huge cockroaches I had around.

A male huntsman lived in my room a couple months, I named him Zeus.

Never bothered anyone, just appears on the wall in evenings.

• Paul

Don't forget that spiders can walk on the underside of objects, upside down. It could have been on the underside of the sink.

• Kenny

A spider cadaver in a few days will tell the tale .

• CRR

It's surprising how quickly spiders can move and hide when they know you're getting the spray.

What kind of bug poison?  Some bug poisons can accumulate slowly in a person's body and cause cancer many years later.  I suggest that you back off on the poisons.

• Some kind of long lasting spray. You're supposed to reapply it maybe once a month. Generally you spray corners and such that the bugs would like. You can use it outside, too.