my friend got a worn out battery in her car. A mechanic charged her $75 for a new one. Why so cheap? her car is 2016 Toyota Camry?

She said she got 50% discount because she exchanged the old battery with the new one. Had she bought it new (without exchanging the old one), it would have cost her $150. I'm just thinking something isn't right. Either she got a really cheap battery or maybe her battery is still under warranty and the mechanic charged her $75 for labor cost (which is a rip off really). The former seems more likely. What do you think?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I recently got that battery at Walmart for $50. The same battery cost $100 at O'Rielleys. They charged your friend what they wanted. Ask her if her old battery still had some warranty coverage.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • J
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Different batteries and different brands all cost different amounts. I bought a new battery about 12 years ago for $60 at auto zone. Most mechanics use cheap aftermarket parts. Dealers use expensive OEM parts. $75 is cheap for a battery, but not entirely unheard of. You normally get a few bucks back when you turn in the used battery, but not $75. I’m guessing the $150 was for a different brand of battery than the one the mechanic used.

• 1 month ago

likely a used one

• 1 month ago

My guess is that the old battery was under warranty. Car batteries come with a pro-rated warranty. For example if the old battery had a 60 month warranty but failed after 30 months then she would be entitled to 50% off the price of a new battery.

It may also have been a combination of warranty credit, core charge and maybe even a sale price or promotion of some kind.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

How on Earth do we know?  We have no idea what battery she got, nor the arrangements. Is she happy with the deal?  Then leave it, it's her business.

• 1 month ago

Evidently she took a test drive with the mechanic.Did she have chapped lips when you got home?!

• 1 month ago

Actually, if they are charging for labor, a $75 minimum is below industry standard.

Edit to comment: A 1 hour minimum at $75/ hour for ANY labor is below industry standard.

• Shawn1 month agoReport

for just changing the battery?? 

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why are you concerned? Maybe she got it half off for a ********

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can replace a battery for a lot less than $150.

• arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Have you even looked under the bonnet? maybe he put an aftermarket battery in?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.