Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 months ago

Do book tubers lie?

I do not work at the moment and I am isolating.

I am a fast reader. I can read a 400 page book in two days, sometimes 3.

Now, I spend ALL DAY reading. I stop to use lavatory and to cook, and then I resume reading. I read all day, really.

Some book tubers claims to finish a 400 page book in one day.

Yet said book tubers work and have children etc.

So I was thinking, how the hell do they read a 400 page book in one day when they have work and they have children etc, when it takes me two to three days when I read ALL DAY and I don't work and don't have children.

Are they lying?

I am a very fast reader too.

What is a book tuber?

No doubt some do. No doubt some don't.

• Sally

It is good that you read books instead of watching porn.  Michelle Obama says he watches porn all day.

Source(s): www.LBGTQ.org
  • Lomax

Not really sure what a book tuber is - but some people can read extremely fast. Oscar Wilde could famously read a novel in an hour - and answer questions on it afterwards.

The extreme case was possibly Kim Peek - the inspiration for Rain Man. Not only could he read a book in under an hour, he could read two books simultaneously - one with each eye. He could also accurately recall details from over 12,000 books on demand.

So yes - some people read faster than others.

Personally, I can read a 400 page book in a (non-working) day with ease - provided that it engages my interest. I once read David Copperfield (850+ pages) in 24 hours, without sleep, but I had more stamina back then.

Even back in the mists of time when I was a child there were courses on speed reading some parents would send their children to in order to "help" them get ahead.  As far as I could work out in involved learning to scan the text for "action words" and connecting them to the relevant noun while disregarding the rest.  That seemed to me to teach people how to value quantity over quality and definitely how to miss the point of so many works of literature.  Take LoTR.  It's considered by many to be the quintessential action-adventure story but for me one of the greatest pleasures of Tolkien's writing is his deep love of the landscapes he describes in minute detail.  If I mention this to a speed-reader they don't even know what I'm talking about because they've trained themselves not to see that kind of "unnecessary" description.  I feel really sorry for them.

• Marli

I would not worry about how fast other people can read. I'm an avid reader, no children and my workplace is closed. So far, I am like you. I can't read a 400 page book in one day, even if I do nothing else but eat and sleep, and I don't want to. I want to enjoy reading books.

Some will, I guess. But I could easily read something like a Harry Potter novel in a day, the longer ones in a couple of days. I do have to have to speed read stuff for work so I am used to ploughing through many pages, accurately, in a short time.  But I agree with Edna O'Brien, if authors have taken time and care over choosing their words, the reader ought to do the same over reading them.

It depends on the reading speed and what you're reading. Also, one page is not always one page. An average novel page will have between 350-500 words. So if they're reading a book with 350 words per page and you're reading one with 500 words per page, then you're reading significantly more when reading 400 pages than they are. This is why authors, editors, publishing companies etc. always use word count and not page count.

I used to consider myself a fast reader, I read all the time as a kid. Then I started university and there was a very heavy reading workload on top of regular classes. The only way to get this done was to learn how to read faster and underline key passages.

Today my average reading speed when reading novels is around 400 words per minute if the novel is engaging and I'm enjoying it. I can read faster than that, but then my reading comprehension goes down and I'm no longer having fun.

With a 400 page novel that has 350 words per page, it should take me a little less than 6 hours. Certainly possible during a weekend.

That said, it's not a competition. I was quite happy with my pre-university reading speed, so unless you need to be able to read faster for whatever reason, then just enjoy it. I certainly sometimes wish that a book would last longer for me.

It depends on the genre. The Critique of Pure Reason they can't read so quickly