Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

I'm 20 and my mother still slaps my face as if I'm a teenager. I think my girlfriend respects me less because of it? ?

I go to the university in my city and live at home with my parents. My mother was always strict. If I was rude or overstepped the mark she'd slap me sharply in my face. I thought it would stop once I started going to college but it hasn't. If I swear at her or slam doors or even get a bad grade, she'll slap me across the face and tell me I need to improve. 

She still treats me like a kid and when I get slapped I honestly begin to feel like one too. Getting hit on the face has that effect, and once she slapped me like that in front of my girlfriend and I thought my gf was surprised because I just got scared and did nothing. The thing is, I can't do anything because I can't afford to move out and my mother is paying my tuition. I know the law says parents have the right to slap their kid until they're 21, but do you think swearing at her or getting bad grades is a reason to get me slapped, especially on the face?    

No there is no reason to slap you. I think she's completely in the wrong. 

I would grab her arm the next time and tell her that because shes your mother you wont strike her but you will restrain her.

So don’t swear at her or slam doors.. 

Slap her back. Your mother is abusive and you are stronger than her.

• Terry

NOPE! Respect is EARNED, not given. If she slaps him, he should slap her back immediately. Harder. Twice.

You might want to call the administrative line of the police department (it's in the phone book) and ask them what the laws are in regard to slapping someone in the face. She should not be treating you that way.

But, I would put an end to slamming doors and swearing at her. It's not a respectful way to treat your mother and most mothers have a deep love for their children (even if they don't seem to show it). 

It sounds like you might need to talk to a professional counselor to help you talk through this. Counseling is often available for a low fee through health insurance. Almost everyone needs counseling at some point in their life. Maybe she will eventually be willing to come along.

I hope your girlfriend is a strong person. A strong person has good character (honesty, integrity, trustworthiness), displays a positive attitude (cheerful, caring, friendly, forgiving, helpful, and respectful), fulfills their responsibilities (for handling pains in a positive way, for always trying to make a good choice, for taking care of themselves, for serving others), gives their best effort, and demonstrates self-control (of their body, anger, mouth and money). This kind of person is less likely to break your heart. Best wishes.

Source(s): True Love Lasts - written with a character emphasis for teens through young adults, Straight Talk About Teen Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 13-19, Straight Talk About Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 20 and up
  • audrey

Swearing at her, absolutely yes. Grades, not so much. You and your mother have a toxic relationship. But if she is paying your tuition and you live in her house, you are stuck with it.

Move out ASAP.  You're an adult.

Here is how respect works.  Act like an adult, be treated like an adult.

Live with Mommy who pays for your college education?  Then you get treated like a child because you act like one.

I moved out when I was 18 and put myself through college.  Try it.  Maybe you'll get some self respect.

i wouldnt live with her if she did that

Dude are you stupid? You know that's what she has been doing for years! Why do you keep provoking her? It seems anyone other than a child would figure out that they need to stop doing the things that are responsible for that kind of reaction. And you're in college??? I guess they'll let anyone in these days if they have enough money!