Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

Why is Kimchi much more popular than Sushi around the world?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Maybe because a lot of Koreans know how to make kimchi--and sushi is only made by people who are trained in the art.  Especially in Japan--where being a sushi chef is an "elite" job. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Do you know about the honey pots?

• 1 month ago

As the season of festivities and end-of-year feasting approaches, here is a question worth asking: which countries feed the world? By that I mean: which countries provide the food that reaches restaurant tables abroad? In other words, whose food might you and your family and friends be eating if you go out for a meal?

There are three ways to search for an answer. One is very personal: finding out what you like. Second, ranking the popularity of culinary exports worldwide – something recently done by Joel Waldfogel, an economist at the University of Minnesota. And third, going by a survey conducted a few months ago by YouGov, a British market research firm, which asked 25,000 people in 24 countries their favourite national cuisines.

There is plenty of overlap between the conclusions of the university study and the survey. Both YouGov and Minnesota University paper found that Italy, China and Japan – in that order – had the most popular cuisines globally. Mr Waldfogel used data from market research firm Euromonitor as well as hotel and restaurant review site TripAdvisor to estimate the popularity of cuisines in 17 countries. YouGov asked people which of the 34 national cuisines they had tried and whether they liked or disliked them. The results mean that Italy’s pizza and pasta, China’s noodles and Japan’s sushi can reliably be expected to be on the plates of people in far-flung places.

In some ways, this gives Italy, China and Japan more leverage on the world’s consciousness than more militarily powerful, economically important and diplomatically astute countries. But how?

Well, this is more than a foodie issue. Successful culinary diplomacy speaks to soft-power projection, often much beyond a country’s actual geopolitical relevance. When a country acquires cultural influence – and food is a big part of that – it becomes both a template and a trendsetter, creating a lingering idea of an attractive way of life and an undefinable vibe that suggests creativity, desirable values, admirable standards and good taste. By extension, food influences foreign perceptions of the way a country does business and might factor into how it attracts investment.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Before modern science intervened, kimchi was simply placed into a clay pot and buried in the ground. Nice, cheap and easy. Sushi is more labor intensive and more costly. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Generally speaking, most people associate sushi with raw fish whereas most people associate kimchi with salad.  I think both are pretty popular.  Of course, there are non fish and cooked fish sushi as well as many variations of kimchi.  But how many people have you heard say they dont want to try sushi because its raw fish?

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cabbage is cheaper                       .

• GibBas
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I'd be amazed if it was.

• 1 month ago

Probably because it stores in a jar and doesn't require fresh fish as an ingredient. It's not like you are comparing apples to apples here Sherlock!

• 1 month ago

🥴 Because kimchi is spicy cabbage or cucumbers. Sushi includes raw fish and not many like it.

• 1 month ago

I don't think it is.  For me, I would not eat either.  I had kimchi when I was stationed in South Korea.  Yuck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.