Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My grandfather expects me to mow the lawn because I'm a boy?

Am I the only one who thinks this is backwards? I have two sisters, and whenever the grass needs to be mowed or whenever leaves need to be picked up or whenever a tree's branch needs to be trimmed  he'll ask why I didn't take care of it. I'll say that it's my sister's turn, which is true. he'll respond by saying, "But you're a boy. You should do it. You have to learn how to take care of the garden." I don't even know how to respond to that. he's said things like since I was 8, I'm 16 now, and it annoys the h*** out of me.Whenever I have chores, I do them. Why does he expect me to do all the work? How should I respond when he says things that?

Thanks for any help :)

get used to it

while there is no reason for you to not do the work, it will help you grow character and be a better person

and men are expected to do all sorts of things (women are excepted to do other  things too) .... unless you get rich and can pay people to do your chores ,, get used to it

as for their turn to do the work.... #1 rule in life... life is not fair - suck it up and deal with it ... 

this is small stuff and if this brothers you,, you will never be able to deal with life 

• Carmen

It’s a time to speak and a time to be quiet there is never a time to be disrespectful to your elders even if you think it’s unfair he is training you for manhood your sisters have their own chores to do as well so be peaceable exercise patience and appreciate the training. 

At age 16, you should be responsible enough to safely operate a lawnmower.  If your sisters are young (like 8), normally I would not expect anyone (female or male) to mow a large lawn without reasonably close and careful supervision until they have proven they can be trusted to do the job safely.

If your sisters are around 16 or older, it seems fair that the three of you take turns, unless there is some handicap which un-levels the situation.

If your grandfather thinks a male should do lawn mowing because merely of chauvinism, decide how you want to approach him.  You could cheerfully go along with it.  It would be challenging (and probably threatening to him) to persuade him that his views are from a time long ago.  It would be better to let your mom or dad to do the persuasion on your behalf (so you don't seriously offend your grandfather).

You could try to explain modern views to him, that gender roles are not a thing anymore. Explain that women can do everything a man can do and their vagina shouldn’t allow them to be undisciplined 

• r

I think you should, for your grandpa, hes not going to be around forever

i would just do it instead of arguing about it

Your grandpa means well and trying to teach you a sense of values, rather than entitlement. 

So you're the only one of your siblings who is going to learn anything about responsibility.  It is not a bad thing.  I have a lot to do where i live and i simply do it and get it done.  I know, it can be a pain stopping everything to cut the grass and doing other chores, but it needs done and someone has to do it.  That is why I just go ahead and do things on my own.  

Do not know what is all expected of everybody in your family, but the easiest way to handle this is to remember that Grandpa was raised in a different time, with different expectations.  

No matter what he asks of you, you should respond positively.  It will not hurt you and will make Grandpa feel better about how you are growing up.  If your sisters ever get the feeling that they are missing out, then you can graciously step aside.

Try "Yes sir". It works every time!