I want to be a software programmer, but my brother said I don't know anything about computers. However, isn't that why we go to school?

Like, I know nothing about computers AT THE MOMENT, but isn't that why we go to colleges that specialize in that field? To learn more about it?

Favorite Answer

Yes, but . . . 

If you were interested in computer science, one would have expected you to take at least one class in high school. Most college students, even in your introductory classes, will have a little background in computer science,  so you might find yourself a bit behind in knowledge. 

And, how do you know you want to be a software programmer, when you haven't had any experience in the subject? It might sound cool, but you don't know if you'll hate it or not. 

I mean, what would you think of someone who decides they want to major in chemistry and become a chemist, without having taken a chemistry class in high school? They might think it's an interesting subject, but they don't really know anything about it. 

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't look into a computer science major, but, you know, proceed with caution. 

• fcas80

You are both right.

There are many online resources to learn to program.  Why not pick a computer language and see what you can learn about it?  R and Python are common languages.  Write some simple programs and see if you like programming.

You are correct.  At some point, everyone is a total rookie at everything they do.