Brian asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 month ago

Poetry: How do I make this into iambic pentameter "Therefore, give hear to my rapport."....?

• Tina

First are you sure you actually mean 'rapport' and not report? and shouldn't it be 'give ear'? you need to add something to make it an iambic pentametre:

Pray, gentle sir, give ear to my report

For your soul's sake, give ear to my report

See on my knees I beg, hear my report...

Or whatever.

• Speed

Brian, I've answered you about iambic pentameter before and it seems you're not paying attention.

Iambic pentameter is a series of five iambs. An iamb is two syllables with the second one stressed.

duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh-DUH

you NEED to COUNT the SYL-la-BLES in RHYMES

be-CAUSE with-OUT a COUNT you WON'T suc-CEED

As I said to sam, who's clearly trying to be helpful, the word "therefore" isn't an iamb unless it's positioned within the sentence so it's DUH-duh. It can't be first.

• sam

You need an extra two syllables in that line. One should be stressed and one should be unstressed. 

ThereFORE give HEAR to MY rapPORT someTHING. 

You can insert something (or another word with that rhythm) between any of the iambs you already have.  

• Speed

The word "therefore" doesn't really work as an iamb, either. It's a stretch to include it.