Employer Sent Late 1099 Form from 2018, what to do?

I already submitted my tax last year for 2018's work year. I forgot to include income from a job because that employer didn't send me the 1099 form.

Then in July 2019, they finally sent it. Now I'm wondering how I should report this income to the IRS. Should I submit an amended form for 2018 tax year, saying that I forgot to include a source of income? Is it too late to do that now?

Or should I report that 1099 form on this year's tax as if I earned this money in 2019 (instead of 2018 which was when I actually earned it).

I tried calling the IRS multiple times but can't reach them.

Thank you very much! Would appreciate any help!

Favorite Answer

1099's don't come from employers.  They come from "clients" or "customers".

You are responsible for reporting your full income, even if you did not receive a 1099.

You should file an amended tax return and updated Schedule C.

You are going to have to pay the penalty, self employment taxes and any income taxes that are due. 

= the sooner you do this, the less penalty you will have. 

You SHOULD have declared the income from your own records even without the 1099.

Because you didn't do YOUR job when filing taxes, you need to file an amended return using form 1040-X.

I recommend consulting a professional for assistance.

• Judy

Amend your return for that year.

File an amended return and include it.

You file an amended return for 2018. And it's your responsibility to ensure all your income is accounted for BEFORE you file your tax return.

You have to amend your return.  You had to report that income even without the 1099.  Not too late, you are obligated to do it.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. 

You must amend your 2018 return, using Form 1040-X, which is filed on paper through the mail.  It is incorrect to include this with 2019 income, and doing so would royally screw up all your 2018 and 2019 records with the IRS, leading to piles of trouble (which includes the records on which your $1,200 stimulus payment is based).

• NA

You must amend 2018.   That means 1040x, late payment penalties and interest on the tax owed.

By the way.  "I  forgot" is a lazy and worthless excuse.  You can't blame the payer for your failure to keep records.  The 1099-misc is to confirm amount paid.  According to you, you didn't even notice they didn't send the form.  Did you also forget any other income?

And stop calling the payer your employer.  Employers issue w-2s.

In all likelihood,  you payer filed late and discivered they couldn't deduct what they had paid you without issuing a 1099.