Is it normal for a UK garage to charge £440 for a full service, change of platinum spark plugs, and new battery?

Car is 6 years old

Nissan Note

Please no more Yanks, I am asking on Yahoo UK about UK

• David

A full service on my 2.4 litre diesel Volvo S80 saloon is only £225 per year from a Halfords Autocentre,   first rule of having a decent car never ever go to a manufacturers dealership , they are obliged as part of the dealership contract to charge you what the manufacturer thinks fit . I used to work for a Honda dealership and was asked by my manager to go through the customer records call them up and ask them why they were not using Honda to service the cars,  and the answer was always Dealerships charge far to much money 

• F

First rule of having a decent car?
      Don’t let Halfords touch it. ( or Kwikfit).

I think it is reasonable to charge something if the service is high quality. 

• pmt853

You don't tell us condition of the vehicle, its mileage or its service history. That price seems just a little higher than I'd expect, but then I don't know much about your vehicle and I'm used to garage bills for newer vehicles with mileage below 10,000 pa.

• F

My wife’s Mini came with a service plan. £500 for 5 years. Bargain right? No. It amounts to two oil changes , one brake fluid change and one cursory check up .

• F

2/3 hrs labour @£70.     = £180

Fluids , oil, filters.              £100

Plugs.                                 £40

Battery.                               £80

Total £400 + vat               £480

So yes about right if they did a major service instead of just an oil change .

• F

Yes if course you can get the oil and filters cheaper. I’ve quoted typical prices a dealership would .charge, full retail price and some .
      And of course depending on your outlook, your time is free

• Tavy

My husband says Yes, that's about right.

UK

This is from a local garage:

Major ServicesFrom £164 (1,000 cc) - £214 (3,500 cc)

Add the spark plugs and battery and what you have been quoted sounds about right. You might have got it a little cheaper if you shopped around.

• F

“From” being the operative word. Bet no one pays that price.

Seems about right . . . . here in the US, a spark plug change on my car was $350  (at an independent mechanic - would be 2 or 3 times as much at the dealership) . . . when I replaced the battery it was $140  (could have found a cheaper one but wanted a HD bit).  So if your shop did that AND a complete check-up & service, don't think you were overcharged.

It takes a good 2 hours just to get to the back spark plugs on most 6 cylinder transverse mounted motors. You don't tell us what a "full service" is. Did they change the ATF? Did they change the antifreeze? Did they rotate the tires? A new battery costs over a hundred bucks.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Jay P

@ F,  this answer was posted BEFORE the addition of the vehicle information was added by the O.P.  It is correct based on the original information provided ( or more accurately, the lack of information provided ).

• Jay P

Which vehicle?   What did the 'full service' include?

That amount can be a rip-off, average, or even a bargain, depending on the make and model of vehicle and what was included with the service...

I'm not from the UK, but I would think it depends on what kind of car it is, and how much driving it has done.

At 6 years old, it might be getting a 60,000 kilometre service, and for many cars that is a more expensive service. Sometimes a car service may well be around 400-500 in terms of UK Pounds. Not every service, but usually every few years there is a more expensive service. So that price doesn't surprise me.