When do I change car insurance to another state?

I'm planning to lease a car in Wisconsin before my move to Illinois. I need to provide proof of in state insurance before leasing the vehicle. At what point do I change my policy to reflect my new residence?

I  have moved to 3 different states,  they all gave me 30 days 

• Edna

You're signing the lease for the car in Wisconsin, so your Wisconsin auto insurance is valid. 

You'll change your car insurance to reflect the auto insurance requirements of the state of Illinois after you arrive in Illinois and take up permanent residency there. After you arrive in Illinois, phone your insurance agent and he'll handle it for you. 

After you move, when you register your car in Illinois, until then you are insured at your address in Wisconsin.

In order to register the car in Illinois, you need approval from the leasing company.  (Usually they give you a notarized photocopy of the title & a letter or a limited Power of Attorney allowing you to change the registration).

Once you've moved to another jurisdiction (state, territory, etc), you've got __ days to register and insure your vehicle where you live.  I left the number blank because it varies by jurisdiction and I didn't feel like looking up the laws in Illinois.

Once you get past 12:01AM on the final day of the deadline, your insurance is completely invalid.

You can't get insurance based on residency until you're a resident.

I moved from Pennsylvania to Texas.  I insured in Pennsylvania, moved to Texas, got a new Texas drivers license, transferred my insurance.

MY company provides insurance in the State where you are licensed.

You should check your lease agreement first.  Some leasing companies do not accept out of state transfers.  Then, if you lease, do the change after getting a permanent address.

• May

You may not have to change your insurance when/if you move.  If your present company is licensed to do business in both Wisconsin and Illinois (most are) you would simply notify your insurance company of your new address.  They would likely then simply assign you with a new agent/agency