Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

All I need is basic coverage but should I get more coverage?

My state only requires $15k liability but are there others I should also consider getting like uninsured, road assistance, rental, etc.?

• Edna

You NEED more than basic coverage (Liability). You should consider getting Full Coverage (Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive). If you carry only what your state requires (Liability), Liability will not cover damage to your car. It only covers the damage that you cause to someone's else's car (your "liability" to that other person).

Uninsured Motorists, Road Assistance, Rental coverage, etc. are optional coverages and cost extra. Talk it over with your insurance agent, and decide if you want to purchase that optional coverage.

Roadside Assistance is nice, but I don't think it's worth the additional cost. I mean, how often are you actually going to NEED roadside assistance? You might drive that car until the wheels fall off, but you might NEVER need any sort of roadside assistance. 

Limited rental insurance is often (but not always) included with Full Coverage. Talk with your insurance agent and find out if it's included in your policy and what kind of rentals are included.

Liability covers only the damage that you cause to someone else's car. Collision covers damage to your car and the other person's car. Comprehensive covers damage to your car that you didn't cause and are out of your control (a tree falling on your car; hail damage; vandalism, etc.).

Your agent knows your finances, your assets, far better than I do.  That's the person to ask.

Yes.  Road assistance is useful, but compare the price to what it would cost to get similar protection separately (for example, as part of an AAA membership).

Collision and comprehensive may or may not be a good idea depending on how much your car is worth.

I guess if you don't own anything the minimal coverage would be okay.  I wouldn't take that chance.  Insurance isn't that expensive, and having adequate coverage can protect your current (or future assets).

Towing, and car rental insurance are inexpensive and pay for themselves "if" you ever need them.

When I was a teenager, one of my friends didn't have adequate coverage, sadly, there was a accident with a fatality, she was sued, she's STILL paying for it - I think she'll be paying for it for the rest of her life.  Being under insured is not smart. 

Buy as much insurance as you can afford.  One million dollar single limit liability policy is a good start.

• May

Yes.....!     Get more.....

You should get enough coverage to protect your assets and should get all you can afford.

$15,000. liability is pitifully small, almost useless.   I recommend 100/300/100

with medical payments, uninsured motorists of 25,000/50,000, no under insured coverage and a comprehensive deductible of $500. and collision deductible of $1,000. (or less).  Those limits are all subject to YOU and your circumstances and the $ize of your e$tate

• Scott

$15k is the minimum your state requires and it's pathetically low. You need to increase your liability limit. It's a lot better to pay a little more for insurance than to lose a lawsuit and have to pay a large amount of money.

I would raise the liability.  $15,000 is not much.  Anything else I would forget about.

• Edna

You wouldn't "forget" about Collision and Comp, if you ever needed to use it.