Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 4 months ago

Is a moonstone a sturdy enough engagement ring?

So I want to ask my girlfriend of nearly 2 years to marry me. I am going to propose on our second anniversary on the beach that we met.

There is supposed to be a full moon that night. After I take her out to a nice dinner, I will drive her to the beach and propose underneath the moon with the moonstone ring. It is actually an antique ring from the Edwardian era (she absolutely loves antiques).

I picked moonstone because she has mentioned that if we are ever lucky enough to have a daughter, she wants to name at least one of the girls Luna, so there are multiple reasons why I have picked moonstone.

I have heard very mixed reviews about the hardness of moonstone, but if it is really that delicate then I would still give her the ring another time but I will use a diamond as her proposal ring instead. Thoughts on moonstone vs. diamond?

Damien: There is a full moon scheduled for June 5th... so yes, there will be a full moon. Moons follow a monthly cycle, and it will happen to be at it's fullest on June 5th, exactly on the day two years ago when my girlfriend and I first met.

No, I will not cancel the proposal if it rains. In fact, that will only make it more romantic for the both of us. Wouldn't you want to kiss the one you love in the rain? I think we might have different romantic preferences, but I like making memories.

• Trish

I would go for the moonstone because of the significance.  Good Luck and congratulations.

Moonstone is only rated as a 6.0 to 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. This means that the gem is quite soft and is easily scratched or marred by many objects. It addition, the moonstone is a fragile gem because it is a feldspar with internal fissures. A sharp knock against a harder object can cause it to shatter.

Got that from a jewelry site. Since this is a ring she will wear everyday for the rest of her life, doesn’t sound like a good choice.

You can do research online 

Maybe consult a jeweller or gemmologist (most jewellers in jewellery shops are gemmologists). Or look it up in a gemstone guide. 

Moonstones are lovely and they're not so costly that you could not have it replaced if it were damaged. Sounds like just the right stone for your girl. 

OR you could propose with a diamond ring, and give her the moonstone ring as a wedding gift. 

What a sweet guy to care about this, your GF is so lucky!

too early on, good luck..........

also, you are looking far too deep into this...

• Helen

You know her best.

• Damien

skip all the nonsense, and just ask "do u wanna get married", i mean are u gonna cancel the proposal if there is no full moon or if it rains?