Darkness asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Why was my Credit Card application denied and what can I do about it?

I have a credit score over 760. I only have two credit cards and a store card. (the store card has zero balance.)

My combined balance is less than ten percent, and each individual balance is either zero or less than ten percent.

The last card I applied for was July of 2019, and several months ago I upgraded my Capital One to Captial One Cashback rewards (I've had this Credit Card since 2011.)

I applied for another credit card yesterday (because I dislike the customer service on my other card) and was denied because I had "too many inquiries"

I am at a loss here. I checked my credit report and I don't see any fraudulent activity.

I have not applied for any loans or other credit cards. 

the only negative I have on my score was a late payment in 2017.

I heard they aren’t giving any more credit/lowering credit since the pandemic since these are uncertain times.i doubt to many requires because I got a loan and a new credit card within 5 months.

• RICK

When they denied your application the reason  was given

You can reapply  but there is no way you can force them to give you a card

It could be because you applied for a card in July of 2019., which was less than a year ago.  You are supposed to wait 1-2 years between applications.  Having applied less than a year ago, even if it was only once, can be too much recent applying.

What you can do about it now is to stop applying, immediately, and not apply for any cards until over a year after the last time you applied.

That's up to the credit card company, you can't force them to give you a credit card nor are they obligated to give you a credit card.  Given what you posted, I'm surprised they turned you down.

• Never

You can run into the same issue with too many soft pulls trying to open a bank account to deposit money. I was turned down for a penfed card years ago despite having over $100k in CDs with them.  I was turned down for an amazon card despite having great credit once.

The lesson I learned is to try to limit the number of new accounts. Not just credit, bank accounts too. 

Lenders and banks can predict if we will be a profitable customer or not and too many inquiries, too many soft pulls or even a card with the same place (different name) that you don't use regularly can lead to rejections.

I had to get a hard pull today to open a checking account at a credit union I have been with for years and they did a hard pull then.  Its ridiculous.

But, financial institutions don't just look at your credit. They predict if you will be a profitable customer for them.

People that apply for too many cards or too many bank accounts do not tend to be profitable for banks & credit cards.

I called penfed after they rejected me and a CSR rep listened and notified the credit card company (not penfed even though the card says penfed) and they made an exception.

My credit union said my score was 811. Its a bit higher everywhere else I check it so I don't know if that new score reflects todays hard pull but it makes sense.

A few years ago, I opened 2 new cards in short order and carried a larger than normal balance for a month all that combined for about a 20-30 point hit. And todays inquiry probably took another 9-12 points.

I have avoided credit unions where others report being denied for too many soft pulls. 

• Never

The 2 credit cards hard pull lasted a year I think. They are still there as in visible but after a year they don't ding your score. But those 2 cards were the first I opened in years. Both had bonuses for certain spends and now I rarely use them. SMH  I will probably never use the capital one again.

• A

so you have 3 credit cards already, when determining your ability to pay off your credit cards they total the limits of all of the cards and compare to your income.  To be denied due to too many inquiries implies you have applied to too many places.

There is no need to have more than 2 cards,  I have gotten along for over 40 years with a single card.     

• Darkness

There is when your second card has terrible service and you find one with good rewards.

You don't do anything.  The credit card company is not required to issue you a credit card. 

Between the card you got last July, the request to upgrade to a different card and this most recent request, this particular issuer is probably thinking that three requests for new credit cards in the last 10 months is excessive and denied you for that reason.  It's their decision to make whether or not to give you one of their cards, so if they don't want to, there's nothing you can do about it.