Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Does religion advance or progress society?

Science does that to society but what about religion?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Gman
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Both are responsible for the condition on earth.  

Religion should teach fellow humans to help the poor and feed them.

Science should help with new technologies to do the same.

• Dave
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

The "poor" must repent of the sins they've committed that caused their poverty.  Jesus Himself said not to give anything to a "poor" person, until he does repent.  "I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee" (Luke 15:18, KJV).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Saad M
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Islam includes rules for educating people and makes them responsible for their proper lives, their families, society and their economy. In addition, Islam gives science and technology a primary role in order to perfect the obligations assigned to humans. All this is part of the obligation made to humans to worship God.

• Dave
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Islam teaches its children to be bigoted terrorists.

• 1 month ago

I would say it does. Religions are for emotional well-being, a tool to lift the spirit up. You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you don't "feel" good emotionally, it's harder to do the work necessary for that progress.

• Religion is responsible for some of the greatest human rights abuses either directly or indirectly for the last 2000 years , glad that makes you feel good emotionally.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The beliefs, values and ideas of religious traditions have made, and continue to make, significant contributions to the development of human societies and cultures. ... In essence, religions provide a frame of reference for understanding the world and for guiding personal and communal action.

It strengthens individuals, families, communities, and society as a whole. It significantly affects educational and job attainment and reduces the incidence of such major social problems as out-of-wedlock births, drug and alcohol addiction, crime, and delinquency.

Why Religion Matters: The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability

SUMMARY

America is at a crossroads. Political leaders as diverse as President Clinton, Senate Majority Leader Robert Dole, and House Speaker Newt Gingrich all have articulated popular concerns and fears about the level of the breakdown of American society. Almost simultaneously, Americans are becoming aware of the fundamental contribution that married family life and regular religious practice can make to preserving that society

https://www.heritage.org/civil-society/report/why-...

People who are religious have higher self-esteem and better psychological adjustment than people who aren't, according to a January 2012 study.

• Study by whom ? , what was their agenda and who was the study for? Christianity is an ego centric, self centred  and altruistic belief system so I get the self esteem but I dont buy the psycological adjustment bit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Depends on the Religion. True Christianity, those who have accepted Jesus Christ as  Lord and Savior is an advantage in any society. A Religion that doesn't accept Jesus Christ as Lord will always be in a state of confusion and can never know the peace that comes from knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Please help me understand who is a true Christian in your estimation when they all claim to be the true way? With over 18 main Christian denominations (plus several thousand independent church groups) all claiming to be right I would argue that it is christianity is confused

• 1 month ago

You can thank Latter-day Saint Christians for television, advances in trauma care and heart surgery, and the closest thing we have yet to cold fusion, the Farnsworth fusor.

• 1 month ago

Not since the SCIENCE of THEOLOGY has been neglected.

• 1 month ago

The purpose of religion is neither.  It exists to bring humans closer to God.  

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
    • ...Show all comments
    • God actually retards the development of society because society focuses on what it currently has as God given , this is the best of it while you wait for what ever he does next. Religion taught the sun revolved around the earth and the world was flat and taught this for centuries

• 1 month ago

Most do to some degree....

• 1 month ago

Not at all.

In fact they actively hinder it by babbling their nonsense and out and out lies constantly

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.