Mario asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 months ago

Why do some people think George Floyd was killed cause of his skin colour?

I'm sorry, I didn't want to do obvious question, I'm European and I don't know so much about US racism, I don't want to offend anyone

Favorite Answer

For one thing, it seems to be relatively common that unarmed black men are killed in racially- charged incidents. This is not the first video of a black man saying "I can't breathe" due to the police having him in a choking situation and ending up dead. Do a web search on "unarmed black man shot by police." You'll get lots of hits. There's even one of a man who was a psychological counselor who was trying to help a patient. He was lying on the ground, on his back, hands up in the air. The cops still shot him. Fortunately, in that case he didn't die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRMYVFmEmx8

Youtube thumbnail

Because some people's knee-jerk reaction to any incident between people of differing skin colors is to yell 'racism'. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. In cases where one or more parties involved is known to have issues (dislike/distrust) with people of a certain skin color, it's likely true (that skin color was a factor or the only factor).

• JuanB

Because he was.

color played no part

trigger happy police had not discharged a firearm, beaten nor killed a civilian for months and were suffering from withdrawal symptoms, they have a need to satisfy, to kill

No, it was because of the content of his character. -MLK

The world saw he was murdered like Iraq it's to do with democracy and with you animals there but for the grace of God go all of us if you have a mind to that's the point 

If Floyd had been white, no one would ever have heard of the incident.

• Elaine

If Floyd had been white this would not have happened.  Take a second look at the video.  What does it tell you  that the police officer kneeling on Floyd's neck had his hand in his (police)  pocket the entire time?  That speaks volumes about the police view and attitude  of African Americans

I don't think killing him was the intent, but his skin color almost certainly put him in the position he was in, where he ended up dying due to abuse. 

Because they are always eager to play the race card.

A violent criminal resisting arrest, that gets ignored because of his race.

Because a disproportionate number of black men die during altercations with the police.