Can insomnia cause depression?

I just got diagnosed with insomnia. At night I stay up talking with friends until around 1-3am. Now my sleep schedule is thrown off. Ever since I’ve been diagnosed with insomnia I don’t fall asleep until 4am. Could staying up talking to friends on my phone caused insomnia? Also can you feel derepressed when you have insomnia? I have been feeling really sad lately. My sadness won’t go away. What should I do?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Those two things are definitely linked but its not obvious how they linked.  There's all sorts of things that can cause insomnia.  Those things include:  Talking to friends or just looking at the screen on your phone before bed time; too much caffeine or energy drinks earlier in the day; mental stimulation late in the evening; irregular timing of sleep; long daylight period this time of year; and insufficient physical activity.   First, try eliminating all of the above.  Give yourself at least a one-hour break from talking with friends or using your phone before bedtime and go to bed and get up the same time each day.   And try going outside for a brisk 30 minute walk in the morning or afternoon, or get some similar type of aerobic exercise.  If you can't get back to a normal sleep pattern or shake the depression make an appointment with your primary care doctor. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.