Studying Advice?

Looking for some tips on how to study. I am currently a college student, and I have a lot of difficulties studying and retaining information. I struggle a lot worrying about what people think and use this as an excuse to not attend as many office hours (virtually of course) as I would like to. I am a pre-medicine student and I know this is the field I want to be in. I just want to learn how to study sooner rather than later, and the anxious feeling when I try to study is really messing me up lately. Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you!

Pick a place and time. Everyone has their own idea about the best place and time to study. ...

Study every day. ...

Plan your time. ...

Discover your learning style. ...

Review and revise. ...

Take breaks. ...

Ask for help. ...

Stay motivated.

When I went to college, I would read, read, read all the material. I wouldn't take any shortcuts. Then, I would write myself out a test, covering all of the material. Then I would take my test. If I didn't remember the answer, then I would look it up. Also, if you have trouble remembering things, try using mnemonics. It's where you make up a little rhyme to help you remember something. Example: The colors of the rainbow in order are ROYGBIV, or Roy G. Biv

It's stands for Red - Orange - Yellow - Green - Blue - Indigo - Violet

Another example is Soh-Cah-Toa, If you chant it, you can remember it that way.

It stands for Sin = Opposite / Hypotenuse, Cos  = Adjacent / Hypotenuse,

Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent.

If you're in pre-med, you're going to need that second one.

You might want to have yourself evaluated for possible underlying conditions.  My oldest friend didn't realize that he had ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) until after his second year of college.  After he learned techniques of dealing with it, he went on to become a major professor at a reputable university.

I only ever got As and Bs in college. I won't give you advice as my gpa was only 3.4. Not good enough to get into med school.

stay up the whole night before a test and cram it

live life to the fullest on all the other days and wing it

nobody will notice anyway

Source(s): hashtag captain obviouso

One way to ensure that you retain more information is to organize it when it is presented to you. That starts in the classroom. You need to make sure you aren't just sitting there listening--you need to take notes. If you know how the material will be organized by the professor, (usually by reviewing the syllabus) then you can plan ahead for note-taking by using divided notebooks, or even by recording a lecture so you can play it back later and go through the information at your pace. 

One big mistake people make when trying to study is they try to cram everything into one or two sessions, or take in too much information at once. You can slow down the process for yourself and commit small bits to memory each time, rather than large gobs of stuff, by putting each TYPE of information into its own notebook or division. Example: you have to learn a big chunk of European history, and it includes a lot of dates, and a lot of statistics. So you get a 3-part notebook just for this class--and you put the important dates in one section with very brief descriptions of their importance, and you put the statistics in another section (i.e., number of people involved, economic percentages of the countries, etc.) and you put a narrative--an overview--in the third section. By repeating the information three times, by segmenting it into smaller bits, you will feel a lot more in control over it. And it will also help you by not overwhelming you. 

Anxiety is a feeling of being overwhelmed--so it's entirely possible you're just trying to learn too much at one time. Break it down. Do bits not gobs. Separate the types of info. Soon, you'll get into a habit of logically and sensibly doing this every time. And studying won't be so overwhelming.  

💧First and foremost, before you study, make YOUR own Individual Comfy Safe space.

💧Second, YOU are going to set the mood for studying by either spraying your Favorite scent, or Playing some music that is best for Relaxation in the background.

💧Lastly, I'm gonna need YOU to Take a deep breath, and this is when you become a SAVAGE because you are using Quizlet, or whatever other forums and notes that you have available to you.

Read (all of) the assigned materials *before* the lecture on the topic. That way you "know what you don't know" and can focus on the right parts of the lecture, and ask questions if the lectures don't clear it up.

Attend (all of) every lecture, whether or not you feel they're helpful. Take notes.

Do all homework and assigned problems, even if they're not collected or graded. (Turn in all assignments *on time* -- no excuses.)

About a week to five days before a mid-term exam, reread the chapters it covers, review your homework and make sure you can still answer the questions. Reread the lecture slides and your lecture notes.

If the final exam is cumulative, you won't have time to reread the whole text again, but at that point you'll have read everything twice already. Go over parts of the text you think are important, plus study the lecture slides, your notes, and the midterms.

I would say check out Daniel Howell's video. Even though he's a comedian, what he says is actually pretty decent advice. 

maybe you should get a tutor to help you study

• Gray2 months agoReport

That is not really financially an option for me right now