Dirac
Dirac asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Who is more incompetent, climate modelers or the "geologist" who was just off by 400 percent?

He was actually given "Best Answer" for being off by 400 percent! I guess that shows the competence of deniers.

How much are climate modelers off by in their estimates of global mean temperature, less than one-tenth of one percent?

JimZ lies once again and claims that I talked about a death rate of 7 percent. Why doesn't he provide a link--unlike him, I SHOW all of my question and answers to EVERYBODY. On a per-case basis (including asymptomatic) it looks like the fatality rate is in the neighborhood of 0.5 percent. That's plenty high, since the R0 is around 2.5 and would imply that herd immunity wouldn't occur before about 60 percent of the population becomes is.

I urge everyone to follow JimZ's link and look at my answer, which clearly holds up quite well after 2 months. It also does NOT support the false claim of "7 percent" that he dreamed up.

People should also check out JimZ's ranting comments to Elizabeth--he rejects data because he doesn't like it--he doesn't have any supporting evidence for rejecting it. That is as anti-science as you can get.

Favorite Answer

I'd make a few comments on the Covid-19 part of this argument ...

By the end of February we knew, from China and South Korea, that people infected by Covid-19 showed symptoms within 2 to 10 days. It typically takes 10 to 15 days for your body to build up the antibodies through the innate immune response. This is the reason for the two to three week quarantine duration. People are contagious for about a week after symptoms develop. The R0 value was estimated to be around 2 to 3 - each person will, on average infect 2 to 3 others. What these figures mean is that if you let Covid-19 spread without some form of containment strategy, the number of cases would double about every 6 days. That is the key metric on which planning was based.

Let me take a US example to illustrate why that was important. The state of Indiana had about 1100 ICU beds on March 1st. By the beginning of April they had about 1700 occupied beds, of which 900 were Covid-19 patients. Fortunately, by that point they had converted just about every possible hospital room into an ICU ward and had nearly 3000 beds. And remember, these figures were with social distancing, lockdowns, and transport shutdowns. The idea that this was all a big over-reaction is BS ... had hospitals not reacted in the way they did, Americans would have been dying on the floor like some 3rd world war torn country. And the armchair critics would have been tutting that it was disgraceful in a developed nation.

People are concentrating on death rates ... is it as bad as flu? It only kills the elderly with underlying conditions ... blah blah ... what they are ignoring is the fact that Covid-19 patients in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and above require hospital beds and the measures taken were designed to ensure the additional capacity which, as the Indiana example shows, was absolutely needed.

More than 100,000 people with friends and relatives are dead in the US. I don't understand a mentality that seeks to diminish the significance of that through pointless discussions on death rate percentages relative to something else. What we do know is it would have been higher without the measures put in place. 

• Daro

Fake Dirac rejects the data and the testimony of scientists who were actually part of the IPCC BECAUSE the videos were on Heartland institutes website. He posted a "question" claiming the tobacco and oil companies are lying about their products destroying people or "the planet".

This after yammering endlessly that he "never" called them "evil". Lying about destroying a planet and all life on it sounds pretty evil to anyone familiar with the American language.

• Daro

..... thats what those idiot movie stars say while wearing size 10,000 carbon shoes.

The only reason you leave your profile public is so your employer can check your work. 

You're the denier.  You denied there was a bot moving all opposing questions to Abuse & Spam.  You denied even when I posted the bot code.

You deny sock accounts even though I caught you red-handed.

Etc etc.  You're a pathological liar.

YOU LYING FILTH

The most incompetent are trolls who post anti science sh*t that they cannot back up.

Like you.

• Daro

I posted the link to your claim about the oil AND tobacco companies. Description matches "evil" right down the line. Everything seems "incoherent" to you Probably suffering from that liberal brain damage......https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/rusty-weiss/2012/01/22/yes-liberalism-mental-disorder