What are the differences between powdered milk and fresh milk?

the best, economic

taste is good ? in cereal ?

• Rain

Powdered milk is manufactured by evaporating all moisture from Milk. Milk is a liquid produced from the mammary glands of animals.

Powder milk taste bad to me, i love fresh milk dany, want to share some?

Powdered milk is always "skim" milk when you make it. There is little-to-no butterfat left. It's VERY economical, and lasts for years on the shelf, making it a good bet for times when you can't get fresh milk. It doesn't taste nearly as rich as fresh milk, not even as fresh as fresh skim milk, but it works great for anything you use milk in--baking, cooking, drinking, whatever. And it's MUCH less expensive. I keep some on hand for use when I need milk for cooking or sauces.  

• denise

When you've made up the powdered milk it seems watery [not as rich as fresh].

I have used it, in baking mainly, when I wanted to reserve my fresh milk.

It's hard to say which is more economical, because milk prices are not the same around the world and we don't know where you would be buying milk.

Tell you how to figure it out for your location. Go to a local grocery store. Find the powdered milk, Look at the package directions and see how much milk that package makes. Then look at the price. If it makes 4 gallons and costs $10, then it costs $2.50 per gallon for powdered milk.

Then go to the dairy aisle and find the skim milk, because powdered milk is skim milk. See if a gallon of skim milk costs more or less than $2.50, and you'll have your answer.

Powdered milk does not taste the same as fresh milk when you drink it or put it on cereal. Some people don't mind, some do. You'll have to find that out for yourself. If you're using it in baking, you won't notice any taste difference.

• J.S.

The taste is the primary difference between the two

Water .

• y

The old powder milk from my childhood, don't mix it right and you got clumps, weak milk, strong milk, all sorts of lovely things.  Get it right, and even 50 years ago it was decent enough in cereal and such.

• CB

Powdered milk tastes awful - I grew up on powdered milk because it was cheap and never went bad. I haven't had a glass on ANY milk in decades. I use milk on cereal but that is it....tainted at an early age I guess.

• Mark

It does not taste the same, but powdered milk is good in oatmeal and baked goods.