Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Is it possible to take home icecream from overseas?

Once the pandemic is over I want to have a trip abroad. Usually in my country when someone goes abroad they take home candy bars from that country to their family. I was thinking of taking ice cream brands and flavors from that country but I know they will melt. Is it possible to take home imported ice cream while stopping it from melting? I was thinking of using a plastic icebox filled with ice.

I just want my family experience eating imported ice cream. I know it might be expensive but my elderly parents can't go abroad anymore. 

No. If you're just driving across a border, you can get a cooler and ice to do this, but it would be prohibitively expensive to come up with a way to do it on an overseas flight.

it would be difficult or virtually impossible to keep frozen for so long even with an insulated box. However, shop around and you may find foreign ice creams on sale in supermarkets. For example, I live in GB, but I would have no difficulty getting Italian gelato, without a trip to Italy.

For a seven or eight hour flight, your best bet is a quality cooler (like Yeti) and dry ice. Check beforehand for any security restrictions

• Anton

Trivial.  Well insulated box, container of ice cream, a pound or four of dry ice, express shipping.

But it is a lot easier and cheaper to simply make the ice cream yourself. 

I haven't bought ice cream for over a decade.