Life asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

I am watching the movie" A clockwork orange" and I just came to know it vocabulary is tough and some phrases are not getable for me.?

I am posting this if anyone of you convert it to the simplest form of English.

Well, well, well! Well if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarble, ya eunuch jelly thou!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Hello, Billy Boy, how are you? Come here and let me kick you in the balls, if you have any balls, that is.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Stanley Kubrick had some Russian words and some other strange made up words in there.  He used some British slang words in there too. The movie was rather bizarre.

Thou is the second person singular form of you, that Modern English doesn't use any more. Many other languages still use this form.  It's possible that your language has it.  It's archaic now.  Plenty was written using this word centuries ago.  We older people know the word well.

• 2 months ago

The language is deliberately 'different'. And a lot of it is derived from Russian, like 'droog' (friend). Even native English speakers struggle with some of it.

Even if you don't understand every individual word of the extract that you posted, I'm quite sure you understood that it was meant to be insulting. Just keep reading. You'll meet the same words in slightly different contexts as you go along, and the full meaning will gradually dawn on you.

• 2 months ago

🥴 He's just taunting whomever he's speaking to.

Thou is like you. Eunuch means no pp. Yarble is obviously referring to genitalia.

Source(s): 🤦‍♀️ I tried watching that movie. It is boring as shxt.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Well, well, well! Well if it isn't fat stinking billy-goat Billy Boy in poison [person]  How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip oil [deep fryer oil]? Come and get one in the yarbles [testes, male reproductive organs], if ya have any yarble, ya eunuch [castarati, men who have been neutered]  jelly[eunich jelly=semin with no sperm] thou! Hope this evades the dreaded asterisk substitution for letters.

• Basically, Alex is just talking smack to Billy.  Yarbles pretty much means testicles.  You don't need a word-by-word translation for that bit since the context is what's important.

Billy, you piece of ****.  You worthless lump of crap.  Wanna fight?  I'd kick you in the balls if you had them.

That's the basic message there.

The fictional slang is called Nadsat, and the book is nearly incomprehensible at first, since it's all told from Alex's perspective and he speaks entirely in slang.  But here's an appendix that can help you:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:A_Clockwor...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I already posted an answer to this last time you asked it. 

"In poison"

Alex is suggesting Billy is toxic by calling him a "poison" instead of a "person." He is intentionally punning a malaprop that switches the word "poison" for the word "person."

"stinking"

This is slang for saying he's disgusting.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip oil?

How are you, you fatso?

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarble, ya eunuch jelly thou!"

Come and get kicked in the testicles, if you have any testicle, you castrated fatso you!"

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you read the book you get a glossary. It is Burgess's made up language (actually a mix of archaic language and foreign argot) and most people do not get it except by the context.   "Well if it isn't fat, smelly Billy in person! How are you, fat man? 

Come and be kicked in the testicles - if you have any - you eunuch fat man."  Billy was one of Alex's droogs (gang members) but fell out with him when he got a job hence the insults.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.