Best job for 50 year old?

My father recently quit his job as a cook because he got injured at the restaurant and they did not offer workers como there. 

He does not have a degree but has small businesses in yard work and house painting. He has a bad right leg and is quite old but he’s a hard worker. He doesn’t want to quit working but also does not want to return as a cook. Any ideas or recommendations?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

sadly that is true for texas about the Worker's Comp

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/dwc/index.html

a driving /delivery job might be a good one to look into- may not pay very much though

Also look into State or Federal retraining services.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Quite old at 50 ? I worked until I was 69 and I'm a female. He could be self employed as a painter/decorator , or a driving job, plenty of opportunities if he thinks about it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In this brave new world of internet shopping could your dad be a courier/driver?  Or a store cashier, office/computer work. How about being a school caretaker?

• 2 months ago

Workers Compensation is not optional for employers.

They have to provide it.

The employer would rather that he didn't file a claim because it will raise their rates but he should.

EDIT:https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/workers_compen... a "non-subscriber", i.e., going "bare" or without coverage, leaves an employer open to personal injury lawsuits from employees who are injured on the job - the damages and attorney's fees are almost unlimited - in addition, certain defenses available in most personal injury lawsuits, such as assumption of the risk, contributory negligence, "last clear chance", and co-worker negligence, are not available to a non-subscriber in a job injury case.

• Guadalupe2 months agoReport

Apparently in Texas, employers don’t have to get workers comp insurance. The restaurant he worked for didn’t have it so he couldn’t file.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.