Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

I'm 19 and got my permit from a DMV in California. I'm moving to texas soon. Do I still need to retake the written exam?

• Edna

A "permit" is a restricted Learner's License. Learner's Licenses don't transfer from one state to another. You'll have to take and pass the Texas Written Exam in order to obtain a Texas "permit". 

I suggest you obtain a copy of the Texas Drivers Handbook (it's free) from a nearby Texas DMV testing site and study it, before you attempt to take the Texas Written Exam. 

• Edna

A Learner's License doesn't transfer from one state to another state. 

• May

Yes.  Learners permits are almost never transferable

You do.  Only a 'full' driver's licence can be transferred to another jurisdiction, not a graduated level.  

• Scott

Yes, learners permits are only valid in the state they were issued. You'll be starting over again.

• Ron

YES. YOU WILL NEED TO OBTAIN A NEW PERMIT IN TEXAS. THAT MEANS STUDYING THE TEXAS DRIVER'S HANDBOOK FIRST SO YOU CAN PASS THEIR TEST. IT WON'T BE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE CA TEST.

Of course you do.

Depends on the state. When I moved to California, I think I had to redo the process all over again, from the written to the driving exam. Then when I moved here, it was just the written test.