Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

I'm 19 and got my permit from a DMV in California. I'm moving to texas soon. Do I still need to retake the written exam?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A "permit" is a restricted Learner's License. Learner's Licenses don't transfer from one state to another. You'll have to take and pass the Texas Written Exam in order to obtain a Texas "permit". 

I suggest you obtain a copy of the Texas Drivers Handbook (it's free) from a nearby Texas DMV testing site and study it, before you attempt to take the Texas Written Exam. 

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

A Learner's License doesn't transfer from one state to another state. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes.  Learners permits are almost never transferable

• 1 month ago

You do.  Only a 'full' driver's licence can be transferred to another jurisdiction, not a graduated level.  

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, learners permits are only valid in the state they were issued. You'll be starting over again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

YES. YOU WILL NEED TO OBTAIN A NEW PERMIT IN TEXAS. THAT MEANS STUDYING THE TEXAS DRIVER'S HANDBOOK FIRST SO YOU CAN PASS THEIR TEST. IT WON'T BE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE CA TEST.

• 1 month ago

Of course you do.

• 1 month ago

Depends on the state. When I moved to California, I think I had to redo the process all over again, from the written to the driving exam. Then when I moved here, it was just the written test. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.