If you are getting in state tuition, and temporarily move to another state, can you still get in state tuition?

My parents live in MD, and with coronavirus making online college courses still a possibility for the fall, If I move to Virginia for a few months, could I still get in state tuition at my Maryland school? (my parents would still be living in MD) 

That should be fine as long as you don't set up or claim residency in Virginia.  As long as you and your parents maintain your permanent address in Maryland, they pay Maryland state taxes, and you don't get a Virginia driver's license or register to vote in Virginia, you'll be fine.

This is no different than having a summer internship or studying abroad or taking a summer job somewhere.

In most states (and I assume MD but not 100% sure) once your residency is established as in-state that will last for your 4 years so you don't have to "prove" every year that you are a resident. The same is true for out-of-state but you can petition for in-state if you meet the requirements.

The only authoritative source would be your school.

However, before the present pandemic, it was not uncommon for a student to go to another state for a summer internship or something.  Their permanent address would still be at their parents' house, and they would go back when school resumed in the fall.  So if you go back to Maryland for the new term, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you stay in Virginia for the new term, there would be an argument for your no longer being a resident of the state of Maryland.  You would be paying sales taxes to Virginia in daily living, your rent would contribute to the Virginia economy, if you are working, your state income tax would go to Virginia.  If the school is strapped for funding, you would be an easy target to disqualify as in-state.

Students' state of residence is based off their permanent address, usually their parents' address. It is not based off of a temporary address, like the various places one might house oneself while a student. This is why students who matriculate out of state still have to pay out-of-state tuition even though they're technically living in state when they move into the dorms or into their student apartment a week before school starts.

• Faith1 month agoReport

thats what I thought but my situations the opposite. I live in MD already getting in state tuition, and if I move to Virginia in the fall, the question is if I could still get instate tuition because my permanent address of my parents would still be in MD (I would only do this if colleges are online