There are only 2 categories for college students they are either international or domestic correct then where do undocumented people fit in?

Are undocumented considered international students while daca recipients are considered domestic? And in terms of financial aid do they both equally get good financial aid?

3 Answers

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    International students have a student visa.

    "Domestic" students are citizens/legal residents of the country where the college is located.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    First, I've never heard of a dichotomy of "domestic" and "international" students being used by a university.  They just don't classify students this way.  

    International students are citizens of another country who come on a student visa to attend a university in another country.  They do not qualify for financial aid, although graduate students from other countries may qualify for assistantships in their programs.  

    DACA students are just considered undocumented. They aren't international students because they don't have a student visa.  I guess if using your dichotomy, they'd best fit into the domestic category.  They do not qualify for federal aid (as you've been told many times before), may qualify for in-state tuition in SOME states (as you've been told before), and may qualify for institutional aid at SOME universities (as you've been told before).  Not all DACA students qualify even in these states and schools that allow it because there are other criteria (such as living in the state for 2+ years, graduating from a high school in the state, etc). You have to look at university websites to identify what aid such a student might qualify for. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    An international student has obtained a student visa (they have been accepted by a particular college AND have provided documentation of their ability to pay the institution and the means to support themselves while doing so).  A DACA student has been documented as a DACA student, any financial assistance is up to the state and institution.  An undocumented, non-DACA person would be required to pay cash.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.