Anonymous

Why do people think it's so easy to quit a job you're unhappy with?

I'm unhappy with my job. I don't like the way I'm treated, the work hours are very long (over 10+ hours per day) with no lunch break and my boss is really mean. People always tell me why I'm still at my job if I'm so miserable and why I don't quit. How can this shock people? I need a job to pay my bills; I can't just quit. Why don't people see that?

• L

Look for another job in your spare time.  I know it's difficult to quit a miserable job and still pay your bills..............but you have to do what you have to do.  Just start looking for another job.

• Marvin

Save up some money and quit.  I worked at the same company 24 years.  They tranferred me from LA to Singapore in 2011. I met another forgien worker there. 

We got married in 2014. We wanted her son to go to high school in California, so in December 2017 I gave them two months notice (standard in Singpore). I got on a plane back to LA in January 2018.  My wife followed in August 2018. Her son arrived in August 2019 when he finished the 8th grade in Myanmar. I adopted him this year.

We live debt free so we had no difficulty saving up some money.  We paid cash for a brand new SUV when I arrived in LA. It is easy to save up money and pay cash for things if you have no debt to credit cards, shcool loans, etc.

• J

You should look for another job so you can quit. I don’t ever suggest quitting a job until you have another one. But once you find another job, you won’t have to worry about being broke. You can make excuses all you want about how you have no time because you work all the time, but lots of people work and also look for a job. You don’t work 7 days a week. Spend your days off making a resume, filling out applications, and making phone calls. If you must miss work for an interview, just tell your boss you have an emergency dentist or doctors appointment. Instead of making excuses and finding reasons why you can’t get another job, just put in a little effort and make it happen. Complaining about how hard it is will not improve your situation. You are not the first person to have a crappy job, and plenty of people find a way to improve their situation. Just remember that only you can make the changes. Nobody else can do it for you, so stop complaining and get off your butt and do something to help yourself. 

It's understandable you don't want to quit because you wouldn't have an income--but what you're talking about is abuse and illegal. You aren't, as an employer, allowed to make people work 10 hours without a break. Not in any state. You really should be looking for a better place to work, and you don't have to quit to do that. 

• car253

It is ILLEGAL for you not to have a lunch break and 2 small breaks in California.   You may be able to sue if your employer is breaking the law.  What state do you live in?

Take a vacation and look for another job.  https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToReportViolationto...

• Judy

You look for another job, and when you find one, THEN you quit. good luck.

Why aren't you looking for another job instead of whining about how awful your current job is? If you wanted out, you'd be looking, applying for jobs, etc. Best time to quit is when you have a better job to jump into.

• You can always look around for other jobs while you're employed. If you find another job then quit your current one. I you're that unhappy then you should look for another job. You need to pay the bills but a having a job shouldn't be just having one to get the bills payed. You should at least like your job. 

If you don't want to quit then don't complain, some one else would be more then happy to take the job from you.

Can you get another job, and then quit the job you have now, and keep the new job so that you can pay your bills?

Because they figure that you will be able to find a new job, one that you like better.  They have more confidence in you than you do.  Make a plan.  Start looking for a new job.  A new job will pay your bills too.  However, realize that most jobs do not give employees breaks.  Law firms NEVER do.  It's unheard of.  If you MUST have a break, move to California.  That's the only state where breaks are mandatory, and they are 10 minutes long.  Don't expect more.  If you did not want to work 10+ hour days, why did you accept the job?  When your criteria changes, don't complain about the job, because it isn't the job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.