Debbie asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Opening an account for stocks as a foreigner ?

I recently got interested in the stock market and mostly have to buy stocks through a friend resident in the US. I am hoping to be able to do this on my own. I don’t know how to go about this though. Any help, suggestions?

3 Answers

  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Brokerage accounts are not exclusive to Americans. Open one in your country.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Buying shares 'through a friend' is a long walk off a short pier.  You will never see that money again. Think about it, how would you prove the money was not just a gift and how would you pay the capital gains taxes that you owed?  Open a brokerage account in your own country.  If you want to put money into the US market, open an account locally with Fidelity and buy index linked ETFs.  That way you pay no commissions and no management fees.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You open an account at an investment firm like TD Ameritrade or Schwab.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.